Etymology: Turkish slang word "pezevenk"

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by Edguoglitigin, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Edguoglitigin

Edguoglitigin Senior Member

Ankara
    Turkish
    There is no doubt that this is a borrowing in Turkish with the meaning "pimp". According to Dankoff (Armenian Loanwords in Turkish: 63), the word comes from the Armenian word bozawag "pander, pimp" (boz "prostitute" + awag "elder, chief, superior"). Hasan Eren adds that the other three words refering to "pimp" astik, dasnik, kodosh are also Armenian (Türkçenin Etimolojik Sözlüğü: 332). What I have found in modern Armenian for "pimp" is կավատ (kawat) also used in Turkish slang as a curse word but speakers are slightly aware of its original meaning.
    Another etymologist (who is actually a scholar of philosophy) İsmet Zeki Eyüboğlu offers a Persian origin by the word pazha:wand refering to "door knob; lock (those whose native language is Persian can correct me if I am mistaken)".

On other hand, there is an interesting detail about the word that it refers to "huge, bulky, humungous" in Azerbaijani.

I wonder about if this words still survives in modern Armenian and your opinions about the Persian origin.

2. momai

momai Senior Member

Arabic-Syria
    All what I know that the word "kawat" is also used in Arabic as qawad meaning "pimp". :confused:

3. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    According to Dehkhoda Persian dictionary pazhavand پژوند is a thick stick they put behind the door to lock it. It's also used to refer to dayyuth دیوث, a shameless person who offers his wife to other men (well, pimp).
    While the word with the first meaning (the locking stick) is Persian, I'm not 100% sure if the second meaning (shameless, pimp) is related to the first one, and so Persian. Maybe, such a man was considered like a feelingless bulky stick.

Considering that the door locking stick or lumber is bulky, I like to assume the Azerbaijani meaning is related to the first Persian meaning.

4. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    The word is also used in Cypriot Greek with a positive meaning, referring to "well off" persons.
    Possibly revealing some second thoughts about pimps. :)

5. Edguoglitigin

Edguoglitigin Senior Member

Ankara
    Turkish
    That is possible Sotos :)

6. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    According to Nişanyan’s excellent on-line Turkish etymological dictionary, the Turkish word occurs as pezevenk, büzevenk, püzevenk, and pīzevenk, so consistently with final –nk. This makes the derivation from (Western) Armenian pozavak (which Nişanyan cites, but with a prudent question mark), or from Persian pažawand somewhat questionable.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  7. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Hello,
    Wow, I met this word in Ion Creangă's literary work. A "pezevenchi" was used to refer to a playful, naughty boy who could always turn the cards in his favour. It is used positively to characterise a smart kid who is not sincere all the time.
    I don't suppose it is still in use.

8. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    Maybe it is in use in Cypriot Greek, but it' s a word (with negative meaning) that all Greeks have heard. I think in Greece it's no more in use or just a little. It has survived in literature or as last-mames.

9. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    We also use it with the same meaning sometimes. For example a man wins the lottery and you can say "vay pezevenk vay". :)