euphemism for problem/issue (concern)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Na'ilah, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Na'ilah Senior Member

USA English
    I am translating a survey that uses the word "concern" to mean "problem"
    e.g. Was this consultation model appropriate for addressing your child's concern?

A third party translator used the term "area de preocupación" for concern. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    Hi,

Just "preocupación/inquietud" could work...though, it could depend on what kind of problem(s)...

Feel free to ask me/us any question...:)

3. Na'ilah Senior Member

USA English
    These are academic issues. Not necessarily learning disabilities, but academic performance issues. These issues may be related to a variety of things from behavior or to background knowledge deficits.

4. Na'ilah Senior Member

USA English

But I can't say "la preocupación/inguietud de su hijo", right? Because that would mean something that worries the child. And that is not the case. These are 4 yr old kids we are talking about.

5. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    Hi,

I really don't think there will be just a one word translation...maybe a phrase like "las necesidades académicas de su hijo" might work...

6. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    Right, that's going too far in some other direction...

Or, "los retos académicos a que se enfrenta su hijo"...but I'm not sure if that needs to read "a LOS que...etc"

7. Na'ilah Senior Member

USA English
    Hmm...Do you see any issue with "area de preocupación de su hijo"?

8. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    I really wouldn't use it, it's like "the area of worry of your child"....

9. Na'ilah Senior Member

USA English
    Gracias, Chica. El dilemna es que no puedo referir a ningun reto ni problem si quiero mantener el tono del documento original. Ya ves que el original se refiere a "your child's concern" which is totally wrong and doesn't mean at all what it is intended to mean.

Sorry, I am just complaining now :/

I really am trying to find a solution.

10. vimu Senior Member

Spanish
    yo diría "los intereses de tus hijos"

11. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    Maybe you could say "el área de preocupación relacionada con el rendimiento/desempeño académico de su hijo"...

12. Na'ilah Senior Member

USA English
    yes... except we don't want to scare people of by the sheer verbosity of the document. This is a mailer and we are trying to make it as accessible as possible, there is no requirement that they fill it out. We are asking a favor really so it needs to be easy. that term "concern" appears in the document about 18 times. Can you imagine how long it would be?

13. one77

one77 New Member

Chile
    Spanish - South America
    Was this consultation model appropriate for addressing your child's concern?

Este modelo de asesoría fue apropiado para tratar el caso de su hijo?

14. DBlomgren

DBlomgren Senior Member

Costa Rica
    English, USA
    Oh, I like that one77. Other ideas: asunto, tema.

15. Na'ilah Senior Member

USA English
    Caso es una excelente opción. Muchas gracias a todos.