Euros (Translating Currency)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by zest2008, Jan 19, 2013.

1. zest2008 Junior Member

English
    I have a question about translating currency as it cropped up in my translation exam last year and I didn't know how to tackle it.

For example, if a sum of money in the source language text is in euros, how would I go about accurately translating it into the target language text for a British audience? Surely, currency rates change all the time, so do I just leave the sum as it is in euros or attempt to convert it in brackets (or roughly estimate)?

I know this sounds like a ridiculous question.

2. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    I wouldn't say ridiculous, but maybe confusing. Let me see ...

You want to say euros to an audience in Britain, right? You could include both currencies, with a time disclaimer.

... at a price of 100 euros (75 pounds sterling at current exchange rates/at the time of writing).

Is that what you're talking about?

3. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I would say it depends on the context. You have to decide how important it is for the reader to grasp the actual amount. In a novel, for instance, I'd just leave it in euros. But in a financial report I would try to convert the amount to the currency the readers will be more familiar with. I might also convert the amount in a news item, though in this case I think there's more leeway, as nowadays it's quite common for news articles to report amounts in foreign currencies.