Every cloud has a silver lining

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by AquisM, Apr 10, 2012.

1. AquisM Senior Member

Hong Kong
    English/Cantonese
    How do you say this in your language? It is used when you want to say that even if a situation looks to be really bad, it might turn into something good.

In Chinese, we have a little phrase called 塞翁失马,焉知非福/塞翁失馬,焉知非福 (Mandarin: saiwengshima yanzhifeifu/Cantonese: tsoi yung sat maa yin zi fei fuk). Literally, it means a man who lives near the border lost his horse, how would you have known that it was not going to turn out alright? (I know, it seems pretty long for eight characters :D) It comes from a story in Ancient China, where a man who lived near the border lost a horse since it crossed the border to Hun territory, and everybody consoled him. He, however, asked, "How come you all assume that it's a bad thing?" A month later, the horse not only returned, but also brought back another stallion.

(As a side note, the old man asked, "How come you all assume that it's a good thing?" when everyone congratulated, and sure enough, his son broke a limb when riding that horse, leading to the expression 塞翁得馬,焉知非禍 (i.e. an old receives a horse, how would you have known that it turned out badly?))

2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
  3. snoopymanatee

snoopymanatee Senior Member

Türkiye/Turkiye
    Türkçe/Turkish
    In Turkish;

"Her işte bir hayır vardır." --> lit. "There is something good in everything."

4. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

«Ουδέν κακόν αμιγές καλού»
    or in polytonic spelling (since it's a Stoic belief, I think Epicurean):
    «Οὐδὲν κακὸν ἀμιγὲς καλοῦ»
    in Modern Greek pronunciation:
    /u'ðen ka'kon ami'ʝes ka'lu/
    lit. "There's no evil without some good"

5. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian: нет худа без добра /net khuda bez dobra/ - [there is] no bad without good.

6. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Hi :)

In Italian:

"Dietro ogni nuvola c'è un raggio di sole" (The sun shines behind the clouds).
    "Finita la pioggia torna il sereno" (As soon as it stops raining, the sun starts shining).

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: I looked it up and found: achter de wolken schijnt de zon -- however, I wonder whether it is really the correct translation...

8. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Swedish:
    We have a direct translation - Varje moln har en silverkant but it's not a very common expression, but we usually say "Varje moln har en guldkant" - Every cloud have a gold lining.

We also have "Inget ont som inte har något gott med sig" - Nothing evil that doesn't have something good with it.

9. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I have been thinking about my Dutch phrase, which was suggested by some dictionary as a synonym... There is a temporal aspect (after) that is not in the cloud expression, and therefore I'd consider it different. I mean: the good is in the bad, be it on the side, in the cloud expression, whereas we simply suggest there is hope, even after some bad luck or worse.

10. sparkfirefly New Member

English & korean
    In korean: 불행 중 다행-something good that comes out of something bad

11. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

Vše zlé je k něčemu dobré. = lit. All bad [things] are good to something. (Every bad [thing] is good for something.)

12. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    The original sense is probably different, it is "you never know what is good and what is bad"; so, I think, the rhymed Russian saying "никогда не знаешь, где найдёшь, где потеряешь" ("you never know where you find and where you lose") is closer to the original proverbs.
    By the way, we don't have a similar parable in our ancient tradition, but in the beginning of the XX century N. Teffi wrote a beautiful short story, actually a collection of, as far as I remember, three parables, prefaced by the common to them all reasoning that one never can believe the direct approximative logic in life. The last of these parables was about a Petersburgian lady, who got cold and fell ill because she took an umbrella with her as she went to the shops. She forgot her umbrella somewhere in the trip, and while she tried to find it, it began to rain very seriously, and she got very drenched and desperate in her endevour. Somewhat resembling to this Chinese story, isn't it. ;)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrew the initial thing i think of is:
    הכל לטובה hakol letova - everything is for the best

14. bazq Senior Member

Hebrew
    Also "מעז יצא מתוק" - [me'az yatsa matok] = "out of the strong came forth sweetness".

15. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I don't think we have an equivalent to this wise expression in Portuguese. The closest one I can think of is não há fome que não dê em fartura, "there's no hunger that won't turn into plentifulness", but this rather means that every hardship will eventually go away, more fatalistic than the pragmatic idea of "every cloud has a silver lining", as I understand it.

16. Euganeo New Member

Italian
    In italian we say: "Non tutto il male viene per nuocere" - "Not all the bad things come to hurt"

17. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    That's interesting to know that Swedish clouds have a gold lining instead of silver. :)

I don't think there is a Norwegian equivalent, but here are two similar Norwegian proverbs:

Over skyene er himmelen alltid blå (Above the clouds the sky is always blue)

Etter regn kommer alltid solskinn (After the rain always comes sunshine)