every hour / every one hour

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Cheeky-Monkey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    "Cada hora" --> "every hour" / "every one hour"

Are they both correct?

Do they mean the same? Is there any difference between them?

Does "every one hour" give more or more accurate inormation?

Thank you.

2. imetmadonna Junior Member

English; USA
    You would never say "every one hour", only "every hour".

Nunca dirías "every one hour", solamente decimos "every hour", que significa "cada hora".

3. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    "Every one hour" would mean the same as "every hour," but it's never used. You can, however, say "every single hour."

4. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Is never used? So it means that it is incorrect? I Googled and found lots of hits... maybe the people who used it are not literate ones? Is it odd? Thank you again.

5. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    I don't think I've ever heard it used. I think a lot of those hits may be either non-native speakers or machine-generated responses.

6. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Ok! Thank you so much!

7. Wildcat1 Senior Member

Amer. English
    Out of curiosity I looked at some of the hits for "every one hour" and I agree with Chris that most don't sound like they were written by a native speaker of English. However I was surprised to find one context in which I would accept the phrase: "For this (college) course, you must do TWO hours of studying for every ONE hour in class". However this is a special case (maintaining parallelism across two phrases), and in the great majority of contexts, "cada hora" should not be translated as "every one hour".

8. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Good point!

9. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Thank you, good example. I see that there is a correspondance between the two parts of that sentence.

Just in case my sentence is the following:

At the beginning of each work order and thereafter every hour approximately, it is checked that the diameter and wall thickness of tubes are within the tolerance limits set by the rolling program.

(Al comienzo de cada orden de fabricación y posteriormente cada hora aproximadamente, se comprueba que el diámetro y espesor de los tubos están dentro de los límites de tolerancia establecidos en el programa de laminación.)

So I just want to make it clear it is cheched every hour, and for that reason I wondered If I could say "every one hour".

10. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    In your example, you could say "every hour" or "hourly". However, I would reorder the elements in your sentence slightly.

11. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    "Al comienzo de cada orden de fabricación y posteriormente cada hora aproximadamente, se comprueba que el diámetro y espesor de los tubos están dentro de los límites de tolerancia establecidos en el programa de laminación."

Like this?

'At the beginning of each work order and thereafter every hour approximately, the diameter and wall thickness of tubes are checked that they are within the tolerance limits set by the rolling program.'

'At the beginning of each work order and thereafter every hour approximately, the diameter and wall thickness of tubes are checked to be within the tolerance limits set by the rolling program.'

or like this?

'At the beginning of each work order and thereafter every hour approximately, the diameter and wall thickness of tubes are within the tolerance limits set by the rolling program is checked'

Thank you.

12. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I like your second sentence best, but wait to see if there are any other suggestions. I'm in a hurry now. Sorry :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  13. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    This one? (me too ;) )

'At the beginning of each work order and thereafter every hour approximately, the diameter and wall thickness of tubes are checked to be within the tolerance limits set by the rolling program.'

14. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    ... and thereafter about once an hour ...

Otra posibilidad:
    ... and thereafter every hour on the hour/on the half hour/ ...

15. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Gracias!!!!