Every moment is a moment of grace

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Willis, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Willis Junior Member

Boston, USA
    U.S. - English
    What is the best way to translate this quote:
    "Every moment is a moment of grace"

Chaque moment est un moment de (la?) grâce. ??

2. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    What is your context, please? :)

3. Willis Junior Member

Boston, USA
    U.S. - English
    It's an excerpt from Elie Wiesel's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech.

"As long as one dissident is in prison, our freedom will not be true. As long as one child is hungry, our life will be filled with anguish and shame. What all these victims need above all is to know that they are not alone; that we are not forgetting them, that when their voices are stifled we shall lend them ours, that while their freedom depends on ours, the quality of our freedom depends on theirs....I express to you my deepest gratitude as one who has emerged from the Kingdom of Night. We know that every moment is a moment of grace, every hour an offering; not to share them would mean to betray them."

I like the last part and would like to use it on its own. Actually it would be nice to translate the whole last sentence.

Thanks.

4. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    ... Que chaque instant est un instant de grâce... ?

5. Willis Junior Member

Boston, USA
    U.S. - English
    To clarify:
    I want to use the phrase as a single quote, roughly meaning: Every moment in life is special--a gift--and we should appreciate and be thankful for each one.

It seems that it would translate very literally to French, as 'grace' is the main word and I think it has the same meaning in both languages, no?

Pieanne-- You think 'instant' is better than 'moment' in this case? What's the difference? Or is that way too complicated. I guess in English they mean the same but a 'moment' is more poetic and more memorable; an instant seems very abrupt and impersonal.

6. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    My opinion is that Pieanne was right to use instant in French, its connotations are more poetical / philosophical.

7. Willis Junior Member

Boston, USA
    U.S. - English
    Thanks so much for your help--both of you.
    I'm going with Pieanne's suggestion.

One last question...
    How about "Every hour, an offering" (meaning a gift or opportunity in a philisophical way)

Chaque heure, une obole (offre, un don) ??

Thanks.

8. Alatariel Junior Member

Orléans
    FRANCE, French
    "Chaque heure est une offrande". (la suite phonologique "chaque heure" n'est pas très élégante. Peut-être minute ou seconde conviendrait mieux.

9. Silver Whistle New Member

I'd rather say "un don" than "une offrande". But I agree with you about "chaque minute" ou "chaque seconde", it's more fluent in French.

10. Alatariel Junior Member

Orléans
    FRANCE, French
    Dans le contexte, tu as raison, "don" convient mieux.

11. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Il vaudrait mieux conserver offrande, àma, car don a d'autres connotations plus terre à terre, le ton d'Elie Wiesel est nettement lyrique, voire religieux.

12. Willis Junior Member

Boston, USA
    U.S. - English
    Thanks for all the help, everyone!

You're right, egueule, about the tone of Wiesel, so I think I'll use offrande.

I understand what everyone is saying about heure versus minute/seconde, but in this particular phrase I feel hour must be used for two reasons:
    Moment has already been used, so to use minute/second would sound redundant—and less poetic.
    Also, the meaning and tone of each part fits (in my opinion and interpretation) with those particular words--no matter what language. Grace is more abstract and constant, so instant/moment fits. An offering is usually more concrete and is given at a specific time, so hour fits better.

13. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    I fully agree with your choice. :)

14. Willis Junior Member

Boston, USA
    U.S. - English
    Thanks. I'm glad you agree. :)