Everyday I learn something new.

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by FlyingBird, Nov 21, 2013.

1. FlyingBird Senior Member

English
    Başlığı nasıl çevirirdiniz?

Her gün yeni birşey öğrenirim.

doğru muyum? :)

2. 4scom New Member

Turkish
    Her gün yeni bir şey öğreniyorum. ​Daha doğru bence :)

3. burada Junior Member

English
    In every single Turkish textbook I've ever seen, learners are advised to use geniş zaman for actions that are habitual or repeated, such as 'Every day I brush my teeth.' Why is 'öğreniyorum' better then 'öğrenirim' in this case?

4. FlyingBird Senior Member

English
    They are both correct.

5. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    No, the continuous tense is better. Her gün yeni bir şey öğreniyorum.

This post might of interest to you.

6. FlyingBird Senior Member

English
  7. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    I have this vague impression that you don't trust the native speakers, FlyingBird.

Her gün yeni bir şey öğreniyorum and Her gün yeni bir şey öğrenirim are both grammatically correct if that's what you're saying. However, they cannot be used interchangeably.

Her gün yeni bir şey öğreniyorum. means currently, every passing day I'm learning new things.

The aorist is only usable in a context like: Eğer kursa gidersem, her gün yeni bir şey öğrenirim. which would mean: if I do a course, I'll learn new things every day.

8. burada Junior Member

English
    Thanks, Rallino - that's cleared up a lot for me. Of course I trust native speakers over learning materials; I would say, though, that the main reason this is the 'number one mistake' made by learners is that the aorist is explained this way in all the textbooks, as far as I can tell. Perhaps you should write your own to correct the record?

9. Muttaki

Muttaki Senior Member

It is not the case here that you are telling something habitual or repeated. If you want to say that everyday you learn something new in Turkish, you should just say it as if you are making a progress on something. Rather than something repeated like brushing teeth, "Her gün yeni bir şey öğreniyorum" is to say you are experiencing something continually. It is not a routine like brushing teeth. If you brush your teeth everday, since it is a routine you can say for instance you will do it again tomorrow. But you wouldn't say certainly that you will learn something new tomorrow too. Perhaps because you don't know what it will be since it is the case of learning. That's how Turkish language sort of directs you to think of it may be. That is my guess.

10. burada Junior Member

English
    I really hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks!

11. FlyingBird Senior Member

English
    Tamam teşekkürler.

But then can you please explain in following sentence why it is 'bağlar' and not 'bağlıyor'?

Boyun kafayı vücuda bağlar.

this sentence is taken from dictionary :)

12. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    "Her gün yeni bir şey öğreniyorum" conveys an emotion, be it surprise, joy or frustration. "Her gün yeni bir şey öğrenirim", however, only states a fact. There's no stressing on how you feel about said fact or whether it even has any consequence at all when you use present tense here. You learn something new everyday, period.

13. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Bits of encyclopaedical information are usually written using the aorist or -dir.
    Ay, Dünya'nın etrafında döner.
    Baykuşlar gece avlanır.
    Uranyum, alfa ışınımı yapar.
    Saatler sonbaharda geriye alınır.

But when speaking, it is perfectly fine to also say: Ay, Dünya'nın etrafında dönüyor, bilmiyor muydun? etc.