everyone dies <vs> everyone will die

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HYCHIN, Jun 16, 2013.

1. HYCHIN Member

I am making an assertion, not in any religious context, that no one is immortal, including those who have died and those who are still alive at this moment and those who are not yet born.

(A) Everyone dies.
    (B) Everyone will die.

I want to choose (A) because my assertion is timeless, but I also want to choose (B) because I think that the subject 'everyone' is still alive in some sense (if he is not, then he is dead and will not die again.)

Which is the better sentence? Why is it better? Or why is the other sentence wrong?

Thank you
  2. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    I think that A better conveys the sense of universality that you describe above. By using the future tense, B covers only those who are currently living (and possibly also the yet unborn): it can't refer to people who have already died, because they are not among those who will die. Basically, what you describe as a reason for wanting to choose B sounds to me like a reason NOT to choose B.:confused:
  3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    Everyone is a strange word. It can mean "everyone in the vicinity/the group" or "everyone on earth" or "everyone who has ever lived and those who are now living and those yet to be born." However, given your context, I would take (A) Everyone dies. This statement seems to cover what you need.