Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by refoufi, Jun 28, 2005.

1. refoufi New Member

English
    This would be of great help if you could translate the following to latin..."everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it"

cheers!

2. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    Here's an attempt, but I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable answers as well, both for you, and so I can ask a couple questions about my attempt as well.

Omnia sunt pulchra, atque hoc vident non omnes.

This is literally "All (things) are beautiful, but not all (people) see this."

3. refoufi New Member

English
    thanks for your help! hopefully someone else will reply to confirm that what you say is right!

4. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    "sunt pulchra" doesn't work, because "sunt" is plural and "pulchra" is singular.

My 2 cents:

Latin:Omnes splendorem habent, sed haud illum omnes vident.
    literal: Everyone splendor has, but not it everyone sees.
    English: Everyone has its splendor, but not everyone sees it.

Correct me please.

5. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    Sure it is -- "pulchra" is the neuter plural.

Should that be splendorem (the accusative form)?

6. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    I feel a bit stupid not to know which gender "omnis" has. Is it really neuter? I thought it's masculine. :eek:

Oops, thank you. I typed too fast. I've already fixed it. :)

7. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    Don't worry -- my original response took me a while to put together and I triple checked to make it right.

As for "omnis", it's an adjective so it can be either.

8. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    But it translates "all" or "everyone" in English, right? So it should be a noun. I'm sorry, but I'm totally confused now. :eek:

9. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    Well, in Latin, adjectives can be used as nouns, or I like to think of it as the adjectives agreeing with some implied generic nouns like people, women, things, etc. So "omnis" means "every, all", and that means "omnes" = "all (people)". Hope that's clear...

10. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Not yet ... Is it masculine, feminine, or neuter now? :confused:

11. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    "omnes" is masculine (and feminine, since the forms are the same for omnis) and plural. So the implied noun is masculine and plural, and could be translated as "people", giving "omnes" = "all people", or maybe "all men" or "all women" in the right context.

"omnia" on the other hand is neuter plural so the implied noun would be "things", giving "omnia" = "all things".

English has the same thing just much more limited, e.g. in "the meek will inherit the earth."

12. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Haha, now I'm almost satisfied. Last "off-topic" question: Is meek really a noun?

13. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    No, it's an adjective, but English allows you to use "the" + X (with certain adjectives X) to mean "the X people", which is a noun (phrase). Latin just makes much more extensive use of this construction.

14. refoufi New Member

English
    so this is definatly the correct translation??

"Omnia sunt pulchra, atque hoc vident non omnes".

Cos, this has to be right as its going to be a tattoo!!

thanks!!!

15. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    No, not definately! :eek:

Considering the purpose, I'd either wait for more knowledgeable responses or maybe ask in a couple other places as well, see what answers you get.

16. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Oh my God! I was so tired last night. Sorry. I didn't recognize "meek" as people, rather as a condition like meekness. :(

17. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    I should rephrase though and say "the meek" means "those who are meek" -- "the meek people" is pretty poor English :eek:

18. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Yes, but good German. :p

19. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    Good Greek too, except here you can drop the "people" part, just like in Latin.

20. refoufi New Member

English
    so....can anyone give me the exact, correct translation?!?

thanks!

21. winnie

winnie Senior Member

italy, italian
    i think romosfan's attempt works well.
    for a matter of style i'd rearrange it in this way: omnia pulchra sunt, sed hoc non omnes vedent.

my grand-grand...grandfathers loved to put the verb at the end of the statement....