Everything has to be done decently and in order

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Sazzi, May 21, 2013.

1. Sazzi Member

English- British
    Hi all,
    Does any one know how I would translate this sentence: 'Everything has to be done decently and in order.' Just as a general phrase that I might use in the workplace for example. The part I'm most interested in is 'decently and in order.'

Il mio tentativo:
    Si deve fare tutto decentemente e precisamente

Can anyone think of a better translation?
    Thank you in advance
  2. Matrap

Matrap Est Mod In Rebus

Abruzzo, Italy
    Hello Sazzi

My suggestion: "Va fatto tutto per bene e in maniera ordinata".
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  3. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Canada, English
    Sazzi, what do you mean by "decently" in this context? To me decently is either an ethical description, which is obviously not what is meant here, or to a certain minimum standard. Is that what you meant?
  4. Sazzi Member

English- British
    Thanks Matrap. :). rrose17, when I say "decently" I mean correctly. It's just 'decently and in order' is a set phrase so I thought there might be an equivalent in Italian...
  5. alsace1961 Senior Member

Rimini, Italy
    French/Italian bilingual
    Tutto va fatto come si deve e con ordine.
  6. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Canada, English
    I never heard this expression before, perhpas it's more used in the U.K.? But I see it's actually a quotation from the bible which I also see translated as ma ogni cosa sia fatta con decoro e con ordine.
  7. L'Enrico Senior Member

I second that, for "decently" as "correctly".

8. Sazzi Member

English- British
    Thank you Enrico and Alsace- I didn't actually realize it was a biblical quotation and I am still trying to decide whether to go for the more modern translation ('....con ordine') or the more biblical version. Anyhow, thanks for the help! :)