everything is chicken but the gravy

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sergiofreeman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. sergiofreeman

sergiofreeman Senior Member

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    I want to knwo exactly the meaning of this sentence

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Welcome, sergiofreeman, :)

As far as I know, this is not a common saying.

We will need to know more about this in order to help you. Where did you here this? What was being discussed? And so on. We would like to give you a helpful answer, but the meaning will depend on the context in which it was used. ;)

3. sergiofreeman

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    I heard that from a bermudian guy, and I got it was same as saying, is it all set?

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    That context is helpful. As I said, I haven't heard it, but I did a websearch and found a few examples where it seems to mean "everything is all set", as you suggest. That is, in the examples I saw, it is used as a statement, not a question.

Here is one of them, written by a contributor to another forum. He asked for advice on a technical problem. Here, he is saying that he followed the advice he was given and it worked.
    Went to Radio Shack, ended up buying an external CD ROM instead (bait and switch!) and now everything is chicken but the gravy. Thanks everyone. ...Installing Win98SE on laptop with no CDROM drive
    Perhaps someone who is familiar with the saying will have something to add.

5. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    I have never stumbled across the statement.

6. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
  7. sergiofreeman

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    thanks all for this help, I wanted to be sure, in order to use it properly, what cagey said about it is not a question was interesting,

I would like to know if it is used in america

thanks again

8. David_Porta

David_Porta Junior Member

Sacramento, California
    American English