Everything is for Jenna

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Darunia, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Darunia Senior Member

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    English-United States
    << Omnes Pro Jenna Est. >>

Hello all.

I would like to say, "Everything is for Jenna," in a sort of romantic way, as if proclaiming that my every breath is dedicated to a very special person. Is this the correct way? Would you decline the name Jenna?

Thank you all

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    How about Omnia propter Jennam?

[<Everything /all things> for the sake of Jenna.]

Yes, I would decline Jenna. Otherwise, the Latin is confusing and allows for misreading.

3. Darunia Senior Member

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    English-United States
    Any other opinions on this? I don't know Latin, I was just guessing...

4. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

English
    I'd rather stick to

Omnia pro Jenna <sunt>.

5. Darunia Senior Member

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    English-United States
    So "omnia" would be a plural noun, and we DON'T decline the name Jenna...?

6. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

English
    Omnia is the plural of the adjective omnis meaning everything, all.

We do decline Jenna: pro (=for ) goes together with the ablative and with Jenna you can't really tell the difference between nominative and ablative.

Regards,

hamlet

7. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hamlet and I are using omnia because as a pronoun, it that refers to things [= everything].
    As a pronoun, omnes refers to men and women [= everyone]. I don't think that is what you have in mind. :)

As Hamlet says, in writing, you can't tell the difference between Jenna as the subject, and Jenna in the form it takes as the object of pro. When spoken, they would sound different, just as the present form of read and the past tense read look the same but are distinguished in speech. (I'm using this as an example; I am not talking about the way the 'a' is pronounced in Jenna.)

8. Darunia Senior Member

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    English-United States
    ...so, which one is it, then? Omnia propter Jennam or Omnia pro Jenna? Or both, or something else?

9. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

English
    I think this is up to you. Both phrases are correct Latin and convey the meaning you were aiming for.

10. Darunia Senior Member

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    English-United States
    Well I suppose I mean to ask, what's the difference between "propter Jennam" and "pro Jenna?" Why are they declined differently?

11. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Here are their respective definitions Lewis and Short, the standard Latin Dictionary for speakers of English:

propter
    : 1. On account of, by reason of, from, for, because of (syn. ob)

pro: 1. To signify a standing before or in front of, for defence or protection; hence an acting for, in behalf of, in favor of, for the benefit of, on the side of (opp. contra, adversum)

They are both possible, and mean close to the same thing in this context. Insofar as I see a difference, I would say that propter indicates the motivation or reason, and pro indicates the purpose. Both would be suitable as a slogan.

12. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    I would prefer omnia Jennae gratia: 'All for Jenna's sake'.

Lewis and Short say:
    That is, patris causa means 'for (my) father's sake', mea causa means 'for my sake'.
    This is the usual expression if you have in mind a future commitment to the person mentioned, whereas 'propter patrem' would usually mean 'on account of (my) father', referring to his having caused or directed me to do something.