Evi / Evleri

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Xander2024, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    Hello everyone,

could someone please tell me if I'm right about some Turkish word-forms that have multiple meaning, for example "evleri" that means "their house". But as far as I understand, it can also mean "his/her houses" or "their houses" and even "(the) houses" in the Accusative - "Evleri görüyorum" - "I see (the) houses". Can the underlined sentence thus have other meanings, for example, "I see his/her/their houses"? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Yes, in case of ambiguity, you can use the possessive adjectives: onun evleri / onların evi / onların evleri
    Nope, you would need accusative for that: (Onların) evlerini görüyorum.

3. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    And what might "onların evi" mean if their house(s) would be "onların evleri" anyway?

4. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    We had discussed this in a recent thread - it was in Turkish, though.

3rd person plural is a bit ambiguous. I presume you're aware that we can omit the possessive adjectives benim evim vs. evim. There is no misunderstanding here.
    Evi can technically mean his house / their house; Evleri - his houses/their house/ their houses. You're correct about that.
    However, when you say evi, it's almost always understood as his house, and when you say evleri, the first thing that comes to a native's mind is their house.

If the context doesn't make it clear, and you absolutely need to be precise, you can opt for using the possessive adjectives for 3rd person:
    Onun evi - His house
    Onun evleri - His houses
    Onların evi - Their house
    Onların evleri - Their houses

5. Esoppe Junior Member

Turkish
    Yes, the suffix -i has more than one grammatical functions in Turkish. And it creates double/triple-meanings in some cases, especially because the possession suffixes have in them the suffix we use to create plural words.

His/her house= ev-i = Evi
    His/her houses= ev-ler-i = Evleri (in this case, -ler is the plural suffix)
    Their house= ev-ler-i = Evleri (in this case, -ler is part of the possession suffix of the third person plural)
    Their houses= ev-ler-i = Evleri (I think -ler is the possession suffix of the third person plural again; but because [for some reason] a word cannot take two "-ler"s or another plurality indicator, there is no way to indicate that there are more than one houses and more than one people) (edit: ah, apart from using pronouns of course)

In the above examples the -i is always a possession suffix. In "Evleri görüyorum" it is the accusative suffix.

"Evleri görüyorum" translates only to "I can see the houses".

For the his/her/their meaning, you need a second -i which acts as the possesion suffix: Evleri + (n)i -> Evlerini (the "n" acts as a 'melding' sound that bridges two wovels)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  6. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    Thanks a lot for the explanation, Rallino. What you've said is a bit different from what my primer says regarding the noun ending with "onların". It doesn't have the "Onların evi" combination.

PS Sorry to say, it's too early for me to read threads in Turkish as I'm just making my first steps in learning this language.

7. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    That's what my primer says too, Esoppe.

Thank you.