1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

except to the extent that action has been taken in reliance

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by aquiestoy, Feb 8, 2013.

1. aquiestoy New Member

English -US
    I'm translating a document for students that have been given an opportunity to attend a special program instead of being expelled for drug use. The Authorization for Release and Exchange of Student Records signature page includes the following paragraph:

"This consent is subject to revocation by the undersigned at any time except to the extent that action has been taken in reliance hereon, and if not earlier revoked, it shall terminate on the date that participation in this program is formally ended."

It means that a parent signs the authorization to release student records; the records are released from one party to another; then the parent revokes the authorization. Because the school district released the records prior to the parent revoking the transfer of records, neither the parent or student can complain that the district improperly released the student's records. My attempt:

"Este consentimiento se puede revocar por el abajo firmante en cualquier momento, hasta el punto en que se han tomado medidas en xxxxxxx, y si no es antes revocado, terminará en la fecha en que la participación en este programa está oficialmente terminada."

Can someone please help correct using legal terms in this paragraph? Thank you!!

2. frida-nc

frida-nc Moduladora

North Carolina
    English USA
    This previous thread answers the same question. Since "hereon" is equivalent to "on it," the response there will fit equally well in your text. Also look at this thread, which clarifies "reliance hereon," in a slightly different context. I think that aztlaniano's answer in the first thread should serve your purpose. Legal experts may still want to improve it, however.

3. aquiestoy New Member

English -US

Thank you so much for leading me to the other threads, as I hadn't found them in my search. I think I'll use:
    Este consentimiento se puede revocar por el abajo firmante en cualquier momento, excepto en la medida en que ya se haya emprendido medidas basándose en él, y si no es antes revocado, terminará en la fecha en que la participación en este programa está oficialmente terminada.

Thank you again!