Exitos Del Recuerdos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Edwin, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    Como traducirias "Exitos Del Recuerdos".

Es ''Memorable successes" correcta?

En general se puede traducir "Xs del recuerdos'' como "memorable Xs"?

2. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Creo que en este caso "recuerdo" se refiere más a "remembrance".

Memorable successes is más bien Exitos para recordar.

A ver qué dicen l@s demás forer@s

ILT

3. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    The trouble is I don't see how to use remembrance to modify exitos.

From WordRef there is the definition:

But translating, ''exitos del recuerdos'' as ''successes of the memories'' is not very good English. I think ''exitos'' can also be translated as ''hits'', and I believe ''ultimos exitos'' is ''latest hits''. But ''hits of memories'' doesn't sound so good either.

On the program ''Cien Mexicanos dijeron'' they have a short section titled ''Preguntas del recuerdos'' (or something similar). Googling I also found things like ''exitos del recuerdos'', ''fotos del recuerdos'', etc.

I cannot find anything to justify translating ''del recuerdos'' as "'memorable'' (la misma palabra en inglés y español).

Crees que "memorable" y "del recuerdos" son mas o menos lo mismo?
    Any ideas?

4. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Okay Edwin... there is a basic and fundamental flaw with the phrase you supplied:
    éxitos is plural, del = de+el (male singular), and recuerdos is plural.

Therefore, in order to provide the right equivalency in English, would you please supply the whole sentence instead of this small fragment?

Saludos,
    LN

5. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA

Laura, if you don't know it immediately I suppose it is not a very common construction and may be an error. But I did find the expressions éxitos del recuerdos and fotos del recuerdos on the web. (Of course there are plenty of incorrect things on the web.) See context in the quotes below.

I thought maybe it was another way to translate memorable. I guess not?

I was not so much interested in ''exitos del recuerdos'' as ''preguntas del recuerdos'' (maybe I have that wrong. ''(las?) preguntas del recuerdos'' (maybe that's not exactly right). But that's all. It is the title of a segment on the TV show "Cien mexicanos dijeron''. After that title is presented they flash back to short segments from previous shows...in case you don't know the show... the key thing is asking questions. That is why I think the title translated freely indicates something like ''interesting or memorable questions from previous shows".

The ''Exitos del recuerdos'' is the title of an album by Selena. Here is what Google brings up.

There is also this example of "las fotos del recuerdos". In this case it probably means "photos of memorable events/things" or something like that. Or is this an error also and it should be de los recuerdos?

6. supercrom Banned

Cercado de Lima, Lima, Perú
    Homo peruvianus, practising AE n' learning BE
    ¿Qué tal "memory hits"?

Best hits = Mejores éxitos
    Latest hits = Últimos éxitos

I am sure "fotos del recuerdo" and "fotos de los recuerdos" are ok, but "fotos del recuerdos" mmm there is not grammatical agreement: del = de + el, "el" male singular; "recuerdos" is male plural. Articles and nouns always agree, actually the article depends on the gender and number if the noun.

CROM

7. Goizalde Junior Member

Spain / Spanish
    "Éxitos del Recuerdos", the record by Selena, must refer to some place (a bar, a club, a country house, who knows!) called "Recuerdos". Otherwise, the grammatical construction would be wrong.

8. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    OK, let me tell you that, at least in México, those kind of records are called "Exitos del recuerdo", because the remembrance is only one but the hits a lot. I don't know, maybe we're using it the wrong way.

About combining hits with remembrance, what about "hits to be remember", or "remembrance hits", in fact, I think that kind of compilations are called "greatest hits" in the US.

9. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    You got it pal! Spanish demands gender and number agreement... so that éxitos (plural) and recuerdos (plural) requires de los for the gramatically-correct éxitos de los recuerdos.

Now, in an attempt to save you (how gallant of me, right? ;)) from this recuerdos/memories quagmire... may I strongly suggest you translate the TV show segment's name as Flashback Hits????

Saludos,
    LN

10. funkwalter

funkwalter Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina - Spanish
    hola !

que tal "oldies hits" ?
    :)

11. Goizalde Junior Member

Spain / Spanish
    The way I see it, if we miss out the fact that the sentence is not correct, the term refers to those old hits that are on everyone's minds and bring us memories of past times. But I cannot think of an adequate translation... Maybe "Hits of our past"?

12. Josette Senior Member

Great Britain, English
    In that case, maybe 'exitos del recuerdos' could mean something like 'hits from yesteryear', 'golden oldies' ,'nostalgic hits' , or even 'nostalgic hits from yesteryear' but I don't think that any of these would make good album titles. Maybe you could simply say 'classic hits' in this instance.....or would that be translated as 'exitos clasicos'? I really don't know...

Saludos,

Josette

13. Goizalde Junior Member

Spain / Spanish
    I like Jossette's solutions. Do we know what's inside the album? Maybe she sang new versions of old songs...

14. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Guys and gals... in post #5 Edwin (who started this thread) said he was referring to a segment from a TV show!!!! His original inquiry had nothing to do with albums and songs.

Just trying to keep things straight. :)
    LN

15. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    En rigor, el álbum de Solena Quintanilla,una joven cantante tejana asesinada hace 10 años atrás, se llama "Exitos y Recuerdos". Este álbum fue editado con varias carátulas distintas, una de las cuales pareciera decir "Exitos del Recuerdo". No obstante lo cual , después del asesinato de la cantante, su sello anunció que editaría un álbum denominado "Exitos del Recuerdos", del cual existe la carátula pero no el álbum, dado que éste nunca se editó.

16. Lizajoy Senior Member

Spain
    US English
    "Golden oldies"?

Lizajoy

17. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    As I mentioned before, we will probably never know the content of this album.

18. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    However, he didn't tell nothing about the content of the TV show. In fact, on April 1, at the 10th anniversary of her murder, various TV shows were dedicated to the sad story of Solena Quintanilla. Of course, I wonder if Edwin's TV show wasn't precisely about it.

19. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    The show is Cien mexicanos dijeron and Edwin describes it in post #5.

20. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    Sí, el programa es ''100 mexicanos dijeron''. Pero acabo de ver lo otra vez y veo que me equivoqué de la frase. La frase que sale allí es ''La pregunta del recuerdo''. Así que no hay problema gramatical. Es probable que los ejemplos de ''del recuerdos'' que encontré con Google son errores. Lo siento por la molestía.

Para mí no era pérdida de tiempo. Por lo menos me enfatizó otra vez la importancia de la igualdad de número entre artículo y sustantivo.

21. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    No tiene importancia todo esto. Lo divertido es que el hilo generado en Word Reterence se transformó en primera respuesta de Google. Es decir que los errores se retroalimentan.

22. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA

¡Divertidísimo! (quise decir hilarious!) :)

Es interesante que Google lo consiguió tan rápido.

23. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    Entiendo que las probabilides de las apariciones en los buscadores dependen del número de visitas. Quizás las otras tenían 0 visitas en Google hasta que surgió este tema.

Saludos,

rayb

24. Narda Senior Member

Weston, Florida
    Guatemala
    How about "Oldies But Goodies"