exoneración del curso/examen

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by MarielaUY, Sep 18, 2006.

1. MarielaUY New Member

Spanish
    Is the term "exonerate" correct referring to acourse or an exam?
    Un promedio de nota 9 entre ambos parciales y una evaluación favorable del trabajo en los grupos, permitirá la exoneración del curso.
    This is what I put:
    If both partial examinations average 9 or above and there is a favorable evaluation of the group work, the final exam may be exonerated.
    Thanks!!

2. andym Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Hi Marie

Welcome to the forum.

'Exonerate' itsn't the right word. 'Exonerate' means when someone is accused of something, and are found to be innocent.

I'm trying to think of the word you might use. You could say 'the final exam may be waived'.

3. MarielaUY New Member

Spanish
    Thanks a lot!!

4. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Perhaps 'exempt' might be more appropriate.:)

5. ORL Senior Member

Spanish/Argentina

Suena raro hasta en castellano, al menos por aquí. La versión argentina sería:

Un promedio de nota 9 entre ambos parciales y una evaluación favorable del trabajo en los grupos, /permitirá la aprobación del curso.

Aunque más natural sería la siguiente:

Para eximirse/aprobar el curso será necesario un promedio de 9 (nueve) entre ambos parciales y una evaluación favorable del trabajo grupal.

6. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    And how could you say "exonerar el curso" meaning that if you pass this exam you won't have to take the course?
    This is the case in the institute where I work. I'm the English teacher for the secretarial courses, and there are some students who don't need to take my course because they've already got a high level of English, so they take this special exam to prove that, so they don't have to come to my class.
    So, another question would be: ¿what would you call this exam?

(Note for moderators) If I should open another thread just let me know.:eek::)

7. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    Creo que ya sé cual es el problema acá; porqué les suena raro "exonerar" hasta a los hermanos argentinos. Sucede que, como yo, Mariela debe ser uruguaya. Por acá es muy común eso de exonerar, que no es lo mismo que aprobar. Exonerar, en el ejemplo de Mariela, está referido no al curso sino al examen final, que es obligatorio a menos que se obtenga un promedio de 9. El curso se puede aprobar directamente dando el examen, pero justamente para no tener que dar examen es necesario obtener esa nota.
    La pregunta sería entonces esa, cómo decir "el examen final será exonerado" (léase, el estudiante quedará eximido de dar el examen)

8. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Or, in other words, as I mentioned earlier 'exempt'.:)

9. SpanishandGermanGirl New Member

West Coast USA
    English-USA
    Yes you can say "If both partial examinations average 9 or above and there is a favorable evaluation of group work, you may be exempt from the final exam."

Or:
    "If both partial examinations average 9 or above and there is a favorable evaluation of the group work, the final exam may be waived." What do you mean about the name of the exam? A final exam sounds find with me. In the USA we have midterms and finals. Midterms are tests taken about halfway through the term or semester.

10. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    What about "being exempt from a course"? Would that be ok?
    And if there's an exam you have to take to be exempt from that course (editing note: That's what I mean by the name of the exam): what would you call this exam? In other words; What "title" could I give to this exam? Since you have for example "final/mid-term/(business English,etc exam, what would this one be? "______________ exam."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  11. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    I know it's not exactly the same but I've decided to call it "placement test", since one way or another we are finding out their level.
    What do you think?

12. SpanishandGermanGirl New Member

West Coast USA
    English-USA
    A placement test is used like you said--to figure out what level a person is but I don't know if it works in this context. A placement test is something you would take before starting a course to see if you should be placed in a higher course, or if you should skip a course or something.

I guess we need to figure out what MarielaUY meant. In the Spanish she says "permitirá la exoneración del curso," but in the English she says, " the final exam may be exonerated." Does this mean that the students no longer have to finish the course? or that the students simply don't need to take the test?

13. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    Yes, skipping my course is exacly the purpose of this exam some of my students will take!

14. Llorona

Llorona Senior Member

Uruguay
    Uruguay - Spanish
    Susantash and tocaya Mariela: La frase que decidí usar yo, siguiendo el consejo del hermano argentino, por si les sirve es:
    «exempted from taking the final exam», de la cual encontré muchos hits originales en una búsqueda de Google.
    Saludos y felices fiestas

15. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Gracias, pero no soy argentino, soy británico.:)
    Saludos y felix año.

16. Llorona

Llorona Senior Member

Uruguay
    Uruguay - Spanish
    Ah, mucho mejor, ;)

17. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Gracias, así lo creo también.:D

18. srta chicken Senior Member

California
    US English
    Una cosita:

Creo que se traduce "exámenes parciales" como "midterms" or "midterm exams."

Saludos.

19. Llorona

Llorona Senior Member

Uruguay
    Uruguay - Spanish
    No, Srta. Chicken,
    exámenes parciales o midterms son los que se rinden, justamente, a mitad de año. La exoneración del curso implica su aprobación sin rendir el examen final. Si los parciales, los domiciliarios, en fin, todas las tareas calificables dan un promedio superior a X, se exonera el curso, es decir se aprueba directamente.

20. srta chicken Senior Member

California
    US English
    Gracias por la clarificación. :)

21. Llorona

Llorona Senior Member

Uruguay
    Uruguay - Spanish
    Es solo una aclaración. Feliz Navidad.

22. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Having read through htis thread and having had my own children go through the Argentine school system, I still find all this stuff about 'partials', 'exemptions', 'repeating school years', etc. very strange and bewildering. As I recall from my schooldays in the UK, we had none of these complications in our lives. There were end of term exams which could result in a change of level in the same year, and the end of the year exams in July that determined your level for the following year. Nevertheless, you progressed anyway and there was nothing about repeating a year.

My school had four levels at each year, the top two moving somewhat faster than the others and more certain of putting you in good stead for university entrance, which was based on what was then called the General Certificate of Education. If you had five passes in this, you could enter any university or profession provided your passes were in the subjects they required.

During the years themselves you could be promoted or demoted to another level, but there were no exemptions or repetitions - all very simple and straightforward and a lot less 'red tape' for everyone concerned.:)

23. vimu Senior Member

Spanish
    There isn´t a term to this meanig. We use the verb "homologar" or "convalidar" (better) to refer this king of situations. So you can say: Examen de convalidación.

You can convalidate for example your studies in your country to get a title or a degree of studies in another country. Some times it´s necesary one or more exams to get the convalidation. Examen de convalidación sounds well and its meanig is clear in his context.