expédition conforme

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by preciouspuppy, May 8, 2008.

1. preciouspuppy Senior Member

USA; English
    Bonjour à tous

Je cherche à compredre le sens et à traduire « pour expédition conforme et délivrance du Diplôme ».
    Certified a true copy of the diploma for delivery?

Merci

2. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
  3. preciouspuppy Senior Member

USA; English
    Thanks, bloomie!

4. SolangeC

SolangeC Senior Member

Omaha Nebraska USA
    USA - English
    How about the "délivrance du Diplôme" part? Is it more a formality? Can the entire phrase be rendered simply as "Certified True Copy" or similar? ASAP!!!

5. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    How about a complete sentence and some more context? :idea: ;)

6. SolangeC

SolangeC Senior Member

Omaha Nebraska USA
    USA - English
    There is nothing else to include; this is a line on the bottom of a diploma from Burkina Faso. Would the entire phrase « pour expédition conforme et délivrance du Diplôme » be adequately rendered as simply "Certified true copy"? Thanks, all.

7. UBJ43X Junior Member

Peterborough, UK
    English - UK
    I've just looked it up in the Petit Robert and found "Expédition ... DROIT Copie littérale d'un acte ou d'un jugement." One of those weird usages that attract lawyers.

8. SolangeC

SolangeC Senior Member

Omaha Nebraska USA
    USA - English
    The phrase that needs to be rendered is "pour expédition conforme et délivrance du Diplôme" and no complete rendering has been given. The only context that can be given is that this phrase is stamped on the bottom of academic records from various west African countries. It is usually on diplomas, although I have also seen it on grade transcripts and on occasional verification that a student actually attended an educational institution.
    Could one render it as "Certified Copy of Issued Diploma"? Any other suggestions are welcome.

9. UBJ43X Junior Member

Peterborough, UK
    English - UK
    Hello SolangeC, sorry that no one has offered a translation of the "deliverance du Diplôme" part. I'm scratching my head over it like you. It appears to express the two ideas "My signature denotes that this is a certified copy" and "My signature denotes issuance of the Diploma", and the question naturally arises, if you are issuing a diploma, why are you issuing it as a copy? After prolonged thought I came up with the same as you, "Certified Copy of Issued Diploma". And yet that gives the impression they've dug out a diploma from years ago and taken another copy of it, perhaps because the student has lost his copy; whereas the French seems to be saying "and I hereby issue the diploma" - I'm issuing it today. Perhaps it will help if we separate the two parts entirely: "Certified copy. In issuance of the Diploma." I'm guessing though.

10. SolangeC

SolangeC Senior Member

Omaha Nebraska USA
    USA - English
    I do remember several instances in which the document I translated was an actual, valid academic document, but it was not the "definitive" document - the permanent one. The initial document bears instructions indicating that in about a year (the actual wording), the Bearer could return this temporary [but official for the moment, my words] document to the emitting institution and receive the final, definitive diploma.

This would seem to be a reasonable explanation of the "deliverance du Diplôme" portion here; the document with these words is the final, definitive diploma, not the initial one. Yes? No?