Expressions for "I'm don't have a preference."

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by leolucas1980, Oct 8, 2012.

1. leolucas1980 Junior Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    I speak a little Italian and French, but when I was in Italy and France, I realized that I didn't know how to express that I didn't have any preference when the waiter of a restaurant asked me things like

"Do you want white, red or rosé wine?"

(I'm not even sure about the best way to say that I don't have a preference in English...)

In French, some people have told me that it would be
    "N'importe quoi."
    or
    "Ça m'est égal."
    but other people told me that these expressions sound a little rude.

In Portugese, we can say
    "Tanto faz."
    or
    "Qualquer um."
    and I don't think that it's rude to say so.

How do you express this in your language?

2. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Swedish:
    Det spelar ingen roll
    Det kvittar för mig

3. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Ιn Greek:

«Δεν έχω ιδιαίτερη προτίμηση»
    [ðen 'exo iði'eteri pro'timisi]
    lit. "I don't have particular preference"

MG adj. «ιδιαίτερος, -ρη, -ρο» [iði'eteros iði'eteri iði'etero] (masc. fem. neut.) --> particular, separate, distinct, which is the Classical comparative degree of the adj. «ἴδιος» 'ĭdīŏs --> private, personal, separate, distinct; PIE base *se-/*swe-, we, ourselves (cf. Skt स्व (svah), of self).
    «ἴδιος» (pos.) > «ἰδιαίτερος» (comp.) > «ἰδιαίτατος» (sup.)

MG fem. noun. «προτίμηση» [pro'timisi] which is an ancient 3rd declension fem. noun «προτίμησις» prŏ'tĭmēsīs --> lit. to honour/prefer something/someone above others; compound, prefix and preposition «πρὸ» prŏ --> before, in front of + Classical verb «τιμάω/τιμῶ» tĭ'māō [uncontracted]/tī'mō [contracted] --> to bestow honour, value (PIE base *kʷēi-/*kʷī-, to value, honour)

4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I agree that this is a very rude thing to say to a waiter. Why don't you say: "Qu’est-ce que vous recommandez ?"

By the way: in English we say: "I don't have a preference" not: "I'm don't ..."

5. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I would say in AE it would be also very strange (and perhaps a bit rude too) to say "I don't have a preference" in that situation, mostly because it is not the waiter's job to make customers' decisions for them. What do you recommend / what is your favorite? would be a better answer.

In Russian:
    а что вы порекомендуете? /ah tchto vy porekomenduete/ - lit. and what will you recommend?
    If you want to be rude:
    мне всё равно /mnie vsyo ravno/ - lit. it's all equal to me

6. leolucas1980 Junior Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    Naturally. Thank you!

That's because I started writing another sentence, and then I failed to erase the 'm.

7. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: 1.)Wala akong mapili.(no preference) 2.) di ako makapili.(i cannot decide which one)

8. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian: Mindegy.
    * in that concrete situation I wouldn't use that, but it is the most common and easiest way in situation if something makes no difference*

9. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: om het even, (dat) maakt niets uit.