expressions regarding agreement

Discussion in 'English Only' started by clin, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clin Junior Member

hi group,

I have 2 scenarios here...I'd like to know how we express it in everyday conversation...

1) when we try to say we agree with someone, what can we say besides " I agree" or " I concur" ? any less formal way of saying that?

2) If me and my friends are setting up a time to meet, and they suggest a time when I already have stuff to do, like going out with other friends. what do I say? can I say " I am already scheduled that day." ? Also, what do I say if I want to express that " I already have a dinner appointment that day."
    not sure if it's correct....but to me, the word "appointment" sounds like a more serious meeting like a doctor appointment or apointment with professors at school....

Thanks a lot!
  2. jacinta Senior Member

USA English
    1. "I agree" is fine to say. It isn't formal at all. Another way to say I agree is: "I think so too". or "Me too". The last is very informal.

2. Correction: If my friends and I are setting up a time to meet...

If someone asks me to do something and I already have something planned, I say simply, "Oh, no, I can't that day. I'm doing something then." or "No, I can't. I'm busy that day."

In regards to appointment, you are right. Appointment is used for business meetings, Dr. and dentist, professional appointments. so, I would say " oh, sorry, I have a dinner date that night". It doesn't have to be a date with someone of the opposite sex. A date can be with anyone. It just means that you have set up a date with someone to eat dinner. Or you could say, "I'm going out that night".
  3. Sharon

Sharon Senior Member

United States, English
    When someone tells me something I agree with, I sometimes tell them, "You got that right." or "You've got that right." Either way is fine.
    Other ways to say you are busy would be, "I'm sorry, but I already have plans for that evening." or "I'm sorry, but that night is booked."
  4. Larry B Junior Member

Turkey , Turkish

What about saying " I have another commitment for that evening" ?

Thank you
  5. Real Name Banned

I'm sorry I'm busy then.

Date is not used in this way in England.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.