1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

extend my appreciation

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sus4, Feb 27, 2008.

1. sus4

sus4 Senior Member

Japan - Japanese
    Hi,

Should I use "offer" instead of "extend" in the sentence below?

I would like to extend my appreciation for the invitation.

A friend of mine (from the U.S.) says the sentence above is incorrect, but I am not sure if I can agree. I've seen similar sentences in dictionaries.

Thank you.

2. icecreamsoldier

icecreamsoldier Senior Member

New Zealand English
    No, "extend my appreciation" is perfect English. :)

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

To me, one extends an offer of some kind. I would use "express" here rather than "extend." Appreciation (in this context) is not something extended or offered, but expressed in response to an offer.

4. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    I'm trying to think what could be "extended", in that case James.

I still think extend sounds OK.

5. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    Maybe you're (and we're) getting confused with the phrase "to extend an invitation" ??

6. icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    One may extend one's appreciation, greetings, sympathy and many other similar nouns.
    Have a look at thefreedictionary.com.

7. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Ok, I looked. :) The definition that applies in this context, in my opinion, is 6a.

a. To offer: extend one's greetings.

Although I do find many examples on the internet, it wouldn't be my personal choice. I agree that greetings, sympathy, hospitality, offers and invitations are all things that you can extend to someone else. They are offerings, gifts from you to the other person. To me, it's a bit arrogant-sounding to "offer" your appreciation for something they did, as if to say, "look at this lovely gift of thanks I'm giving you for your having done that."

I do see that it is used, although Google shows more than a 11:1 ratio for "express my appreciation" to "extend my appreciation."

8. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I don't think that "extending" appreciation is the same as "extending" greetings. To extend a greeting is to "offer" a greeting. Appreciation is not offered - it is a "thankful recognition" (Dictionary.com) of something. It is a result of a previous kindness. It is a reciprocation.

I agree with James on this one - I think the word should be "express".

Edit: Our posts crossed, but James took the words out of my mouth! :)

9. sus4

sus4 Senior Member

Japan - Japanese
    Thank you for your comments. Random House Dictionary lists: "extend a warm reception to travellers" "I extended my deepest sympathy to him..."

I just googled it, and it looks like "extend my appreciation" is widely used. "Express my..." is even more common.

10. icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    Google gives me a ratio of about 5:2 (express... vs. extend...). There is a subtle difference in meaning, and I certainly agree that express is generally more appropriate, but I was merely stating that "extend my appreciation" is also a valid English expression. So yes in fact you're both right. :)