1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

extinción de la condena

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by leese, Feb 21, 2013.

1. leese New Member

English
    Hi,
    Would be most grateful if someone can help me with the phrase "la extinción de condena" in the following context: (It is for a police CERTIFICATE so it has to be really accurate legally). The key word is "extinción"

La leyenda "No tiene asuntos pendientes con las autoridades judiciales" aplica ...
    para quienes la autoridad judicial competente haya decretado la extinción de la condena o la prescripción de la pena

Thanks much

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    You might try "expungement."

3. leese New Member

English
    Thanks Robjh22. I thought of that also , but I wonder if that might mean wipe clean, as if it never happened- there never was a conviction (like expunge from the record). My problem I have seen some translations where "extinción" (as well as prescripción) seems to refer to 'expiration'. I was wondering if the sentence might imply something like : "for those whose sentences have been served and declared satisfied/completed by the competent judicial authorities or those whose terms have expired and so decreed by such authorities." - however, not sure if the sentence structure, or the legal terms are falling in place.

4. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    FWIW, extinguir una sentencia means, in the legal context, to serve a sentence.

And prescribir can mean to expire or run out (as a period of time).

5. leese New Member

English
    Thanks much, RicardoElAbogado. That does it!