1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Extrait intégral d'acte de naissance

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by JFrance84, Jan 31, 2011.

1. JFrance84 Junior Member

Canada, English
    Hi everyone,

I'm filling out an application for an exchange to France and am confused about one of the required documents. It says to include un "extrait intégral d'acte de naissance". My attempt at a translation would be "extract from birth certificate".

I'm not sure what the difference is between these two expressions, which I've found while trying to answer my question:

Extrait intégral d'acte de naissance
    and
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Copie intégrale d'acte de naissance[/FONT]

Does the fact that it says "extrait" mean that it can be a photocopy, not an original?

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this expression! :)

2. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

France
    USA Northeast
    Sometimes birth certificates can have a short or long version. I came across this recently in France. The short version basically says nothing, date of birth, place of birth, name and little else. If you go to a courthouse in the US, perhaps Canada too, they give you a little piece of paper like this. The long version, "l'extrait intégral", is what they keep in the hospital you were born at or what they give your parents when they take you home. It has more detailed information like hour of birth, name of physician, parent's name, perhaps some medical information describing who you are, what you look like, size and weight at your birth, mother's name, maiden name, place they were originally from etc. etc. Like I said I recently did this, and you get it at the hospital records office. A photocopy is fine. I had to get it certified "copie conforme" with a stamp, and they always want it translated officially into French by a translator, also with a stamp. Hope it helps.

3. JFrance84 Junior Member

Canada, English
    Wow, thanks for the quick and thorough response, that really clarified it for me!

4. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

France
    USA Northeast
    Your welcome. Enjoy your stay in France.

5. Katie1917 New Member

English - England

But is there a difference between EXTRAIT and ACTE? I'm translating a document which says, in a footnote:

"[mentions marginales] inscrites sur l'acte postérieurement a l'établissement du présent extrait"

Are they synonyms? Is it "[marginal notes] added to the certificate after the present certificate was drawn up"? or what?!

(Incidentally, I believe you meant "you're welcome", not "your welcome".)