1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Extremidades: simétricas con fuerza y movimiento conservado.

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by rtd2wars, Dec 14, 2012.

1. rtd2wars New Member

Spanish
    I am having a hard time making sense of the following sentence. Can someone with a medical background kindly assist me? Thank you, Ayim

Extremidades: simétricas con fuerza y movimiento conservados

Translation: Extremities: symmetrical force and motion preserved.

2. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    I would say, "symmetrical, with strength and motion (or motility) preserved."

3. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Or maybe "mobility."
    "Motility" makes me think of one-celled organisms, or maybe the gastrointestinal tract, not limbs.
    Not sure about "preserved" either. Preserved from what? Or retained, or maintained? Context would help.

4. sergio11 Senior Member

Spanish (lunfardo)
    I suggested these words because I have seen them in medical records, but of course, that doesn't make it right. Often doctors write or dictate stuff that is not grammatically correct. You may be right; maybe "mobility" or simply "movement" are better choices. Regarding "preserved," it is used often to indicate that something is not lost, and is also given in the dictionary as a synonym of "retained."

5. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

They're all good words, but we don't know if they're the right words here because we have NO CONTEXT ...

6. sergio11 Senior Member

Spanish (lunfardo)
    To me, the context seems to be that of a cursory physical examination, and that is where I have seen it always: I can't think of any other place where you would find such a paragraph.

7. rtd2wars New Member

Spanish

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I am translating a medical chart. The patient had a quad accident, the vehicle felt on top of his arm causing severe damage.

8. rtd2wars New Member

Spanish
    You are so correct Sergio11. I have found so many grammaticall errors to the chart. Your suggestions have been very helpful. Thank you!

9. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    I like it, but I would go with movement instead of the ones suggested.

"symmetrical, with strength and movement preserved"

Regards.

Welcome rtd2wars!!!!!!!!!