Fölébredtem éjféltájba': Egy barmom sincs az állásba'.

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by Idiomaphile, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Idiomaphile Junior Member

English - US
    I'm merely trying to translate this.

I think it says, "I woke up around midnight: there was no beast standing."

I'm not sure why the inessive case of "allas" is used, but I get the drift, I believe.

2. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    I think that állás in this case is a noun and means rather stall, stable (or something similar), i.e. a closed place where the beast used to stay ("stand") during the night. It seems to me a bit archaical usage of this word (but I'am not an expert in beasts :)).

So az állásba(n) means in the stall (stable ...)

3. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
    The first part of the sentence in the other thread shows that its translation given here is correct, and for the second part, where the question is the meaning and relationship between the words barmom and állásba':
    barmom = barom "beast" + -om "my",
    állásba' = popular/careless form of állásban "in the stand" - which in a rural/old-time context might mean as francisgranada says a place where the animals "stand", a stable,
    and egy ... sincs, literaly "even one ... is not" (sincs = is + nincs), meaning "none of ... is",
    so my understanding is: none of my beasts is in the stable.
    -- Olivier

4. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I've looked up állás in the Magyar Értelmező Kéziszótár because stable didn't seem to be an immediate equivalent to me and I've found the following description:
    "nép Jószág (ideiglenes) pihenőhelye" (nép referring to "folk language") even that doesn't give a clear definition of the place itself, although it is very likely that it is not a stable.

In the Akadémiai Kislexikon, there is the following explanation: állatok, főként lovak, szarvasmarhák (ld. "barmok";)) védelmét szolgáló, fal nélküli, gerendákon álló tetőzet.

According to this, it is surely not a stable but where is this "building" (near/in a farm or near a grazing field?) or what the roof is supposed to do (protect from the hot midday sun or from the rain or both?)... it is not clear.

I wouldn't have a better idea than calling it a "resting place" in English - as a first attempt (hoping it doesn't evoke "cemetry"!:D).

5. Idiomaphile Junior Member

English - US
    Like good explanations, this has just raised further questions. But I've got the gist of it! Thanks all!