für ein Jahr

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Bogolino, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Bogolino Junior Member

Hi everyone
    I'm working through 'der treffende Ausdruck' grammar book and I have another question.

The author says "Für is used only with a period of time that states how long the activity or the state suggested or implied by the prepositional time phrase is intended to last"
    She cites as examples:

Danach ging Stefan für ein Jahr in die Schweiz

and she puts next to it '(Stephan intended to stay for a year in Switzerland)'

Later we see the example:

Als ich als Austauschstudentin für ein Jahr nach Deutschland ging, hatte ich nicht mit so veil Ungewohntem gerechnet

In a further example to demonstrate when it's not needed she says:

Sie wohnen seit 12 Jahren in den USA. Davor haben sie ein Jahr in die Schweiz gelebt.

I'm not entirely sure I can see the difference, except perhaps that the year in Switzerland was somehow accidental and not intended specifically as a year?

However, earlier in the book, in a completely unrelated exercise testing decision making verbs, we are asked to translate:

Her friend Gisela has decided to go abroad for a year

This, to me, therefore, suggests intent.
    However, the answer given is:

Ihre Freundin Gisela hat beschlossen, ein Jahr ins Ausland zu gehen.

So now I am completely confused as I would (given the other examples) have felt the 'für' would be correct here. Is it because 'abroad' is not a specific country?

Can anyone please explain, and perhaps give some examples of when für would and wouldn't be acceptable.

Thank you

2. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Good question. My guess is when there is NO connection to the present you can use "für".

Giesela geht für ein Jahr in die USA. (future)
    Giesela war für ein Jahr in den USA. (past)

Giesela ist seit einem Jahr in den USA. (ongoing; connection to present)

3. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    The keyword in the author's explanation
    is "only". If the duration is not described as an intended one you cannot use für. If the duration is described as an intended one you may but don't have to use für.

In the sentence Ihre Freundin Gisela hat beschlossen, ein Jahr ins Ausland zu gehen the verb beschließen makes it sufficiently clear that the statement is about the intended duration of the stay. Adding für is grammatically possible but semantically unnecessary.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  4. Bogolino Junior Member

Thank you!

So in the sentence: Sie wohnen seit 12 Jahren in den USA. Davor haben sie ein Jahr in die Schweiz gelebt

even if they had fully planned and intended to stay for that year in Switzerland, the idea of 'intent' is not actually implied or evident in this statement so 'davor haben sie für ein Jahr in die Schweiz gelebt' is always incorrect?

5. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    The meaning of the preposition "in" is locative, therefore you need to use dative here.

Yes, I agree. It is maybe debatable if it is strictly "incorrect" since you could argue you wanted to emphasize the planned nature of the stay in Switzerland. But it would certainly be very unidiomatic to use für in that sentence.

We could consider the following variant sentence:
    (A) Sie wohnen seit 12 Jahren in den USA. Davor waren sie für ein Jahr in die Schweiz gegangen.
    Here für is correct and idiomatic because the sentence describes the stay in Switzerland from the perspective of 13 years ago when they went to Switzerland. (Note that the meaning of "in" is directive and not locative in this case and the preposition is therefore followed by the accusative.)

The following variant is a bit in between:
    (B) Sie wohnen seit 12 Jahren in den USA. Davor waren sie [für] ein Jahr in der Schweiz.
    Here the version without für is the normal, unmarked one but you could use both versions. If you use the version with für it would be understood as equivalent to (A).

6. Bogolino Junior Member

That's great. Thanks very much for your help :)

7. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    You could say sth. like the following, though:

Sie leben seit 12 Jahren in Europa. In dieser Zeit sind sie auch [ für ein Jahr | ein Jahr | ein Jahr lang ] in die Schweiz gegangen.

From a strictly logical point of view, the second sentence doesn't make much sence, because it doesn't take a year to go to Switzerland from nowhere in Europe, even if you walk by foot all the way. What is meant here with ein Jahr in die Schweiz gehen (directive complement) is that they spent a year in Switzerland (situative/locative complement). This is a very usual and idiomatic way to phrase it, even if it isn't very logical.

8. Schimmelreiter

Schimmelreiter Senior Member

Deutsch
    ein Jahr in die Schweiz gehen lass' ich mir zur Not einreden (eigentlich nicht, aber soll halt die Idiomatik im Dauermatch gegen die Logik auch mal einen Punkt bekommen).

ein Jahr lang in die Schweiz gehen geht zu weit. Buchstäblich. Nur über meine tote Leiche, as the Englishman says.

9. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Yes, that corresponds to my variant (A):

10. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Du hast schon Recht, wenn man eine Sekunde darüber nachdenkt, merkt man sehr schnell, dass diese Formulierung absolut bescheuert ist. Aber dennoch kommt sie vor und den meisten Deutschen würde sie intuitiv so verstehen, wie Gernot sie meinte, und sich auch nichts dabei denken. Beispiel:

Tamino Böhm (22) ist nach seinem Abitur ein Jahr lang nach Tansania gegangen und hat dort in einem Dorf am Rande des Kilimandscharos in einer Grundschule gearbeitet.