1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

fabricated, invented

Discussion in 'English Only' started by High on grammar, Dec 13, 2012.

1. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    [FONT=&quot]Hello everyone:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Does “fabricated” or “invented” collocate with “charges” in the sentence below?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Since her arrest, they’ve..............charges against her.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A) invented B) fabricated[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    I believe both are perfectly fine. But according to Oxford Thesaurus Dictionary the only word to collocate with “charges” is “trump up”, not “fabricate” nor “invent” or even “ make up” .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Trumped-up charges is a rather casual or journalistic way of referring to false charges; I don't think it would be so commonly used as a verb (The police trumped up charges against her). Fabricate is a more formal word for it, and is used for intentionally false things - a fabricated story (a lie or false alibi), a fabricated CV, a fabricated explanation. It sounds like the serious and appropriate word in your sentence. Invent is possible too, but is much more open to possibilities: inventing charges could mean making up entirely new charges, like negligent use of an umbrella, being drunk while holding a balloon, or walking too close to flower beds. If the police fabricated charges, they would stick to existing offences like murder and driving without a licence.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    "Fabricated", "trumped up", and "made up" would all work here, but I'd use fabricated. ("Invented" wouldn't be completely wrong, but I agree with EntangledBank that it's too broad a term.)

4. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    Thanks