1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Fabrication Vs. Manufacturing

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by KittyCatz, Jul 3, 2009.

1. KittyCatz Senior Member

Spain- Spanish
    Good morning everyone,

¿Cuál es la mejor opción en las siguientes frases?

[FONT=&quot]El Jefe de Fabricación, Jefe de Pruebas e Ingenieros son responsables de...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Production /Fabrication/Manufacturing? Manager[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Tests Manager and R+D Engineers, are responsible for... [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingeniería de Fabricación es responsable de...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Production /Fabrication/Manufacture?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Engineering [/FONT][FONT=&quot]department is responsible for...[/FONT]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    I have a preference for Production. Possibly a British bias on my part.

3. projectguy Senior Member

Chile
    English - Canada
    Production Manager and Production Engineering are common terms also in NA.
    Test Manager (not Tests Manager in any case) sounds odd. Product Test Manager would be better, if that is the intended meaning, Product Testing Department being that manager's responsibility.

4. KittyCatz Senior Member

Spain- Spanish
    Thank you for your fast answers.

Do you think Production is the best translation for both "Fabricación" and "Producción?

Thanks again.

5. projectguy Senior Member

Chile
    English - Canada
    This will depend on context. In the context that you describe, the production consists of (or at least includes) fabrication, so the two might be used interchangeably in many sentences or titles - but this is not true in all contexts.

It strikes me that the etymologies of both words are similar in English and Spanish, and this can help with the distinction. "Production" is a more general term than "fabrication", as there can be many types of production (orange juice, software, drawings, etc.) that aren't products of fabrication, but in a commercial setting, fabrication is a type of production, that of fabricated products. An example of common fabrication is that done in steel fabrication plants, where standard shapes of steel (beams, plates, etc.) are cut, welded, bolted and otherwise assembled together into a fabricated steel product.

6. zheniasea Senior Member

Spain
    spanish
    From my viewpoint (and correct me if I'm wrong) there is a difference between Manufacturing and Fabrication.
    In fact, regarding the etimology of such works "manufacturing" is close to craftmanship.
    The current meaning for such works may be that the term "manufacturing" can be described as the act of making something (a product) from raw materials whereas the term "fabrication" as described in the wikipedia "when used as an industrial term, applies to the building of machines, structures and other equipment, by cutting, shaping and assembling components made from raw materials". (See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrication_(metal) )

Hope it helps!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010