1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Citrinette, May 23, 2007.

1. Citrinette

Citrinette Senior Member

Ravenna, Italy
    Canadian, English
    How can we translate Lettere... I'm correcting a translation, and the original has "department of letters and philosophy.

Letters sounds strange to me...

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
  3. Citrinette

Citrinette Senior Member

Ravenna, Italy
    Canadian, English
    Excellent! thanks, I wasn't sure

4. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    I think "letters" is another term for "humanities" in this context.

Elisabetta

5. Citrinette

Citrinette Senior Member

Ravenna, Italy
    Canadian, English
    I think I prefer letters to humanities. I think it sounds better... but I found "classics" in the dictionary... so that's where my doubt came in.

6. jjjones Senior Member

Italy Italian
    I think you could use Faculty of Literature and Philosopy, since "classics" is referred only to Latin and Greek (in Italian "Lettere Classiche"), "Humanities" is more or less "Scienze Umane" and Letters... well... it doesn't sound good.

7. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    Whether it sounds good or not, it sometimes is the official name of the College. ;)

Elisabetta

8. Citrinette

Citrinette Senior Member

Ravenna, Italy
    Canadian, English
    Trentina: does Letters refer to Litterature? Since there is no translation of this Italian name, perhaps I can use Litterature instead... or do you think it's more appropriate to use letters?

9. europefranc

europefranc Senior Member

London
    Italian
    Hello everyone,

I have to translate this as well. In the CV I am translating it is mentioned

"Facolta' di Lettere e Filosofia, Universita' di Cagliari"

Just to make sure, is it then correct "College of Letters and Philosophy, Cagliari University"?

Sorry but I always find it really hard to translate certificates, degrees etc...

Thank you very much

europefranc :)

10. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I think yours is very reasonable, you might also use "Faculty of",
    your choice.

11. europefranc

europefranc Senior Member

London
    Italian

Thank you very much for your help TimLa :):)

europefranc

12. Tifoso Bonisolli Senior Member

German - Austria
    Digging up this thread once more... would it be "College of Letters and Philosophy at the University of Cagliari" or "of the University of Cagliari", or anything else? My friend Google doesn't come up with a reasonable answer - both "of" and "at" are mostly used on Czech and Latvian websites and the like... thanks in advance!

13. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Either "of" or "at" works.
    It might depend on the entire sentence.

14. Harunuages New Member

Italy
    Italian
    Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia.
    "Lettere" si traduce con Letters, Arts, Literature or Humanities?
    Quale traduzione è più corretta?
    Thanks!

15. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian biling
    Ciao e benvenuto/a!

Faculty of Letters and Philosophy. ;)

16. Harunuages New Member

Italy
    Italian
    Ti ringrazio per il benvenuto e per la risposta.
    Come mai Letters piuttosto che Arts? Ho cercato nei siti di varie università, anglosassoni e non, e ho trovato sia Letters che Arts... sono molto indecisa.
    Sto traducendo il mio curriculum in inglese per un'università olandese e avevo tradotto "Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia" con Faculty of Letters and Philosophy. Una mia amica madrelingua mi ha, però, suggerito Arts piuttosto che Letters, dicendo che quest'ultimo termine si usa poco in Inghilterra.
    Anche nel Dictionary Italian-English di WordReference viene suggerito Faculty of Arts come traduzione di "Facoltà di Lettere", cercando il vocabolo "Facoltà".
    Riesci a chiarirmi le idee?
    Grazie ancora.

17. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    "Faculty of Letters and Philosophy".
    I do know that things work differently abroad, but I Know from experience that their academic bodies have grown accustomed to our university lingo.
    Best.
    GS

18. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I would also have said Arts, not because Letters is wrong, but because it isn't that common any more. However, if by Lettere we mean Lettere Classiche, Greek and Latin language and literature, I would say Classics (both Oxford and Cambridge have what is known as the "Faculty of Classics").

19. Harunuages New Member

Italy
    Italian
    Grazie a tutti!
    Alla fine la risposta era nella versione inglese del sito della mia Università...prima non disponibile per restyling...ebbene: Faculty of Humanities and Philosophy!
    Best regards :)