facts schmacts [prefix schm- / shm-]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by dani_, Feb 10, 2010.

1. dani_ New Member

Català
    Hi

I heard this from Homer and I searched it in google and several searchers, but it only appeared in the title of all results. I thought "schmacts" could be german and I tried in google translate, but nothing. If someone could help me.

Thanks

2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    The shm- (schm-) is Yiddish, and we have borrowed from Yiddish the habit of using a repetition where the second word begins with shm-, to indicate contempt or dismissiveness:

facts, schmacts! ["facts aren't important! who cares about the facts?"]

It can be applied to anything: German, Schmerman; or Homer, Schmomer, etc. etc.

3. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
  4. dani_ New Member

Català
    Thank you.

5. hushhush77 Senior Member

cantonese
    <Hushhush's thread (from here) has been merged with an earlier thread>

Hi, what does the word "schmalable" mean? The context is like this: Mai- I was thinking of taking her advice. I want to be salable. Leo:-You’re a person, not a piece of meat. Salable, schmalable! Don’t you even think about it!

I checked in the dictionary but couldn't find the word "schmalable". Is it an English word?

Thank you.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  6. AmaryllisBunny

AmaryllisBunny Senior Member

Here is what I found for schmalable: it is only used in ESL podcasts for Chinese and Japanese. As far as I know, it doesn't exist... and Google was only able to find a measly 26 results (Chinese/Japanese).

It seems very unlikely that you'll find any English dictionary with this word let alone the existence of this word.

Perhaps I am wrong? :confused:

7. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    It sounds like an example of the (Yiddish-derived?) practice, common in AE, apparently, of prefixing a word with -sch or -sh in order to be dismissive.

8. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I agree with sound shift. It's the Yiddish prefix added to saleable. (That is the normal BrE spelling and it took me a moment to realise that salable was another way of spelling it.)

9. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    By using "schmalable" here, Leo is in fact saying "You're not salable".