1. Camillou Senior Member

French
    J'aimerai traduire cette phrase "Parce qu'écrire me fait du bien".

Merci d'avance ;)

2. mignardise Senior Member

US & Canada, English
    Je dirais "Because writing is good for me." En général, "is good for me" se traduit par "me fait du bien."

Mais on pourrait aussi être plus spécifique... "Because writing is good for my mind / health / sanity, etc..."

3. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    Could you also say simply 'writing does me good'? Or 'it does me good to write'? Just a guess, but I would like to check.

4. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Désolé mais ça ne veut rien dire du tout, pour autant que je sache.
    Personnellement, je dirais plutôt Writing makes me feel good.

5. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
    Thank you Tilt for your answer, but I would like to have a native's confirmation because I have often found it in lyrics, so I guess it must be at any rate very colloquial and I have heard it from an American friend in casual conversation, so that I wanted to check whether it would be accepted in that context.

6. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    I am sorry to contradict tilt, but these formulations are both correct in AE, and they do indeed mean what Moon Palace thinks. The second might be more common than the first, and both are a bit informal and perhaps also a bit dated.

The expression "it does a body good" is very much present in the American ear... indissociable with the slogan from a long-running dairy industry advertising campaign. :p

7. A day in Eireann Senior Member

France - French
    I agree with you jann, even if I more often see it as "it does me a lot of good" than just as "it does me good", it certainly exists. And not only in the USA, for years people in Ireland have tried and make me drink pints of stout (you can guess the name of it all by yourselves) by saying it would "do me a lot of good".

Otherwise, if the context allows it one can also opt for something in the line of: writing helps me heal /feel better. Writing is good for my (mental) health, ... and all the variations made possible once we know if that feel good factor is linked to an illness (recovering from one) or to a personal pleasure/satisfaction.

8. Teafrog

Teafrog Senior Member

London
    UK English (& rusty French…)
    I beg to differ: "writing does me good" is fine (as far as I'm concerned). It could be collloquial, though, but it's certainly used.

However, should I be proved wrong, I'll eat my hat :eek:

9. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Ok, ok, I give up ! I was sure using do as a verb was an error here. Obviously, I was wrong.
    Admitting it does not me good, but I've got no choice. :D

10. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
    Come on Tilt, be assured that your ability to withdraw your remark does you a lot of good indeed and I do hope you will keep contradicting me often enough, because questioning our certainties is what we need to move on. :p

11. jetman

jetman Senior Member

Vermont
    English - USA
    It does me good to.... is a common expression.

It does me good to get away from the computer once in a while.

12. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    That's great, I now understand why this sentence sounded so strange to me. I was reading good as an adjective, not a noun.
    Thank you so much.

13. Jumot

Jumot Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    French, Canada
    Pour en revenir à l'expression "me fait du bien", je pense que la solution de Tilt est la bonne : makes me feel good. C'est plus près du sens et du niveau de langue que "does me good" ou "is good for me".

Julie