1. ToniB New Member

UK English
    In cooking recipes the phrase "faire revenir" is often used. What does this mean in the cooking context ?

: gastronomy
  2. Chabada Senior Member

France (French)
    It means: to brown. Example (source: Robert & Collins) = to brown the onions gently in the butter.

3. somody Senior Member

English
    Wow...that's quite odd.

"Faire revenir" = "to do to return" in imperfect terms, or "do to return" in imperative terms.

How does that, in any way, relate to browning?

4. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada

5. xav

xav Senior Member

Paris
    France
    Evidemment, on a du mal à comprendre en quoi ces oignons ou ce poisson "reviennent" - et d'où... Ils commençaient à tourner de l'oeil, peut-être ?

I'd translate "to brown gently" - things shouldn't become really brown.

6. smr Junior Member

Paris
    france, french
    Bonjour,

Sans doute parce que ce que l'on cuit, revient de l'état frais à cuit ou bien de l'état "blanc" ou "vert" à "doré" et qu'ainsi les aliments peuvent se dire "je n'en reviens pas" (jeu de mot).

An explanation could be that foods being cooked to brown come back from "white" or "green" color state to "brown" color state, their normal cooked color(?). It could means that these foods come back from dead color (white) to a color of living (brown).

7. TarisWerewolf Senior Member

Kanadassa
    Canada (English)
    Salut!

My husband and I read a magazine that is only available in French, but is for a cooking show that we watch regularly on TV. I can understand French very well, but him not so much. I regularly find myself translating the recipes an typing them out to keep in a binder for quick reference. There's one phrase I can never seem to find an accurate translation for: faire revenir.

Ex:
    Dans une casserole, faire revenir le riz dans l'huile.
    Dans une poêle qui va au four, faire revenir l'oignon dans le beurre.

I get the gist of what it means, but how would one translate it into English?

8. Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold Senior Member

France/Italy
    English (UK)/French (FR) - Bilingual
    Hi Taris;

That would be to sear. As in to sear a steak...

IC
    ;)

9. Gswiss Senior Member

french
    Yes, and you could also say to brown or to fry, depending.

10. akaAJ Senior Member

New York
    American English, Yiddish
    :tick:
    Sometimes, as with onions, "fry until transparent". I think "sear" implies much too high a temperature.

11. Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold Senior Member

France/Italy
    English (UK)/French (FR) - Bilingual
    I agree with that - but it's nevertheless the result of epoch to epoch vulgarisation; sear is a direct transcript from saisir.
    ;)

12. akaAJ Senior Member

New York
    Maybe so, but "sear", or "sere", in the sense of dry and withered is said to derive from Indo-European via Old Teutonic and Old English. As "to burn or char with a hot iron", "to cauterize" the OUD gives an example from 1530.

13. frankhartmann Junior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    English, German
    When you are talking about vegetables, such as onions or leeks, "faire revenir" can be translated as to sweat. To sweat a vegetable means to cook it over low or medium heat until it becomes soft and translucent (i.e. softened but not browned.)

14. akaAJ Senior Member

New York
    Interesting, but I suspect it may be confined to Canada.

15. Aoyama Senior Member

川崎市、巴里 (黎)
    仏(佛)法語צרפתית Clodoaldien
    what about "to seize" ?
    As for "revenir" ... stir-fry ?
    To brown = faire brunir.

16. Wodwo Senior Member

London UK
    UK English
    If you're referring to the verb "to sweat" used of onions gently fried to become transparent, we say it in the UK too.