1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

faire un pied de nez

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Chris25, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Chris25 Senior Member

India English
    Hi everybody! :)
    Could someone please tell me what faire un pied de nez means? I don't have any context unfortunately. I just came across it and was wondering what it meant. It's just says it's one of the expressions fleuries avec les noms des parties du corps. Since it's literal, I don't think i should even attempt the translation. Thanks for any help. :)

2. Chris25 Senior Member

India English
    Ok, i found it. To mock. I would very much appreciate an example if anyone could provide me with one. Thanks alot!

3. Léa123

Léa123 Senior Member

France
    French - France
    faire un pied de nez à quelqu'un: to thumb one's nose at someone.

faire un pied de nez à la tradition/aux conventions: to cock a snook at tradition/at conventions.

Hope it helps :)

4. Maurice92 Senior Member

France
    France french
    It's a gesture of the hand, fully open, vertical, all the finger well separated, the thumb just on the nose. It was used , when I was young, mainly between the children to say "I won" or "I don't care of what you say". I don't think it's still used, but I may ask my grandchildren.

5. Topsie

Topsie Senior Member

Avignon, France
    English-UK
    I believe another (old-fashioned) expression is "to cock a snook"!

6. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

thumb your nose at (somebody, something) in AE.

cock a snook is only BE--it sounds very funny to an AE ear, but doesn't mean anything!

7. SNTB99

SNTB99 Senior Member

Dakar
    Senegal
    just say mockery, or gibe
    may it help you get the point

8. victoria1 Senior Member

Mauritius - English & French
    Faire un pied de nex à quelqu'un: to thumb one's nose at somebody or to scoff at sb.

9. cocomax Junior Member

uk
    France
    What about taunt or chaff (as verb or noun)?

10. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Does it involve a physical thumbing of the nose, or is it metaphorical (or can it be either?)

11. Chris25 Senior Member

India English
    It can be either. You could make the gesture or use the phrase. (But it's usually made by small kids.:D)

12. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Hmm... Funny you should say that, wildan, as the expression is in the "Columbia Guide to Standard American English": http://www.bartleby.com/68/4/1304.html

13. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Maybe you would say that if you were Kenneth Wilson and you were born in 1923 as was the person cited (that makes him 85 years old), but otherwise I have never heard this said by anyone in the US!

14. johntheclark New Member

Reims, France
    France English
    to cock a snook (at someone) ; to thumb one's nose