Fais-moi en part si tu as des questions

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Le Pamplemousse, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Le Pamplemousse

Le Pamplemousse Senior Member

USA, English
    "Fais-moi en part si tu as des questions..."

Could someone translate this for me?

How is "faire" working here (or is it another verb)?

2. the.lotrium

the.lotrium Junior Member

Toulouse
    Canada English
    Le Pamplemousse,

I would translate it as, "Let me know if you have any questions"

Faire part de = break the news (in the wordreference dictionary).

In other words, "fait-moi en part" might literally translate to "make me a part of it"

3. Le Pamplemousse

Le Pamplemousse Senior Member

USA, English
    Thanks.

I thought that, but it sounded weird in English.

4. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Sounds weird in French too.
    «Fais-moi-z-en part» is colloquial.
    The correct form would be: «Fais m'en part...» but it sounds very litterary. I never used it with my friends...

5. Tabac Senior Member

Pacific Northwest (USA)
    U. S. - English
    Wouldn't "fais-mois savoir" be more common?

6. Daniel Reynolds

Daniel Reynolds Junior Member

Australia, English
    Well, maybe without the s at the end of moi, otherwise you might be saying make the month know! But I didn't write to correct your spelling, I actually think that faire quelqu'un savoir doesn't really make sense in French. To make someone know, it doesn't seem right to me. Could be wrong, but hey, just fais-moi savoir if I am!
    Dan

7. EmmaPeel Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France - French
    Actually, it is a way of speaking in French: "faire savoir", it means to inform.
    e.g. "Si tu as besoin de quelquechose, fais-le moi savoir"
    If you need something, just let me know
    "ils ont fait savoir qu'ils seront présent à la cérémonie"
    They informed they will be attending the cenermony.

8. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    "faire savoir à quelqu'un" can be said in French : fais-moi savoir si tu as des questions, but it doesn't sound very nice either...

the correct form of the original sentence would be : fais-moi part de tes questions si tu en as
    ("Fais-moi en part si tu as des questions" is strange because the "en" refers to "des questions" but appears first in the sentence so you have to wait before you understand what the person is talking about... if you see what I mean
    and also, as Gil said, there's a pronunciation problem with two vowels "moi en", and that's why people will colloquially add a virtual transition "moi-z-en")

I would keep it simple and just say "dis-moi si tu as des questions" :)

9. Danse Macabre Senior Member

Versailles
    France (french)
    "faire" is working like a verb here in the expression "faire part de quelque chose à quelqu'un".

I'd say either "Fais moi part de tes questions si tu en as" or "Fais moi savoir si tu as des questions"

10. EmmaPeel Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France - French
    I like "Fais moi part de tes questions si tu en as"
    To come back on the "faire savoir", it is not the nicest way to say 'to inform' or to 'let know' but it implies that the person may use as well an indirect way as a direct one to let the other one know.
    ;)

11. Tabac Senior Member

Pacific Northwest (USA)
    U. S. - English
    Thanks Daniel. I DO know better, but I type pretty fast in the early morning and I seldom take the needed time to proofread.:)