1. FrkAintEz New Member

English
    I am translating an article about Pesellino in Gazette des Beaux-Arts and I cannot seem to make sense of "fait foi" in this sentence. It occurs multiple times in the article.

Jamais un artiste doue du style et des merites dont fait foi la petite predelle de Pesellino...

So far I have...
    Never a gifted artist of style and merits which ----------the tiny predella from Pesellino

2. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    My suggestion: "Never an artist endowed with the style and merits evinced by the tiny predella of Peselino [an artist]". You may get more trustworthy answers in the French forum.

3. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    "never a gifted artist of style and merits to which the tiny predella from Pesellino gives credit / credence ... " ?

4. Arioch Senior Member

France, French
    Micia's answer seems good to me.
    I'd also suggest the simpler "[as] shown in" (I don't know if "expressed" could be used here).

The "as" could be a valid addition if you consider the "petite prédelle" was an additional information in the sentence, and only "shown in" if it actually was a masterpiece, or the first to show such qualities (I don't know much about art, so don't ask me if this could be the case ;))