Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by blasita, Jan 17, 2012.

1. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Term: fake-ation.

Your definition or explanation: you go to some lovely location and pretend that you are on holiday, but you keep on answering phone calls and emails to such an extent that you may as well have been in the office.

Example: For the workaholics among us, there is always the possibility of the fake-ation.

One or more places you have seen the term:

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes.
  2. youmetogether New Member

English, Korean
    I have never heard of this word before but it seems like a combination of the words "fake" and "vacation".
  3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English

The first of these 'elaborations' on vacation that I was aware of was staycation.

I heard another new one on the TV just the other day ~ unfortunately I didn't think to make a note of it.
  4. youmetogether New Member

English, Korean
    These variations are very interesting! I never knew they existed.
  5. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Here's another: playcation ~
    There's even (inevitably) gaycation.
  6. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Yes, Youmetogether, you are right: maybe I should have said it, sorry.

I received an email offering me that kind of vacation and I thought it was a good idea to share it with you here. But I see now that it might not be as interesting and commonplace as I thought.

I've just found fake-ation in the Macmillan Dictionary!, and I think that it's the only dictionary in which it appears. I wonder who decides/how it is decided when to include a word in a dictionary.

I was wondering if they are any 'elaborations' (as Ewie called them:)) on 'holiday' (BrE) as well.
  7. ribran

ribran Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    English - American
    Maybe someone at Macmillan read this thread. :D