falar aos amigos

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by reka39, Feb 15, 2013.

1. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
  2. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Talk to the friends (even if it is to say goodbye to them).

3. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Sorry, but if it means both things, I can't see the difference between 'falar com os amigos' and 'falar aos amigos'.

4. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    To me, there is a slight difference. To begin with, falar aos amigos sounds a lot more formal, almost poetical. Falar com os amigos is the more usual way. Also, falar aos amigos might mean to communicate something specific to them, whereas falar com os amigos might mean to converse with them. I have never heard falar aos amigos meaning to say goodbye to them, but that is only my experience.

5. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you! That's similar to the meanings we attribute in Italian.

Perhaps 'falar aos amigos' as 'cumprimentá-los', it's just used in Portugal.

6. Carfer

Carfer Senior Member

Paris, France
    Portuguese - Portugal
    Maybe so, but that can be one of the meanings in Portugal all right. It can also mean 'to mention' or 'to discuss the matter with friends' ('vou falar (nisso) aos (meus) amigos'). 'Falar a' may also mean 'to be in friendly terms with someone'.

7. marta12 Senior Member

Portugal
    português
    ...mas também:

- Estou a falar com os meus amigos e depois ligo-te. Nesta expressão não cabe 'falar aos amigos'.
    - Vou falar com/aos amigos para saber se podem ir ao jantar.
    - Vou falar aos amigos para saber se estão bem. Para mim, nesta expressão não cabe 'falar com os amigos'.