1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

falling into pieces

Discussion in 'English Only' started by pepone, Jul 28, 2007.

1. pepone Senior Member

ARGENTINA
    I want to know is falling into pieces is well spoken English, because it sounds to me, but I don't find so many searches, to assure it's correct.

Thanks.

2. anothersmith Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, U.S.
    Could you give us an example of how you would use it in a sentence?

3. pepone Senior Member

ARGENTINA

For instance, I am wondering if you can say "my life is falling into pieces", I mean as if it is broken down.

4. anothersmith Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, U.S.
    We would say "my life is falling apart." I've never heard anyone say "falling into pieces" before.

5. Dice9 New Member

Australia
    Hi,

It is falling to pieces... not falling into pieces

Falling to pieces is a term used when you are having a hard time...

''My mother passed away then I lost my job and thats why the bank took my house, I can't take it anymore, I feel like I'm falling to pieces.''

It is not well spoken English, its a figure of speech that is used to describe how you are feeling.

6. pepone Senior Member

ARGENTINA
    Thanks for comming up with the truth, except for the example, I hope that is not happening to you.

7. stargazer

stargazer Senior Member

Slovenia, Slovenian
    Hello pepone

is it by any chance from Faith No More's song Falling To Pieces? (I love this song!!!) Well, in my opinion it means I'm not in control of my life, things are not going as they should have, something like that.

8. pepone Senior Member

ARGENTINA

I would download that song because I know that band, but this is not the case.
    If you want to look into other commentaries of the song you are mentioning you can take a look http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=5109

9. stargazer

stargazer Senior Member

Slovenia, Slovenian
    I know the song backwards, it used to be one of my favourites. But the comments are quite interesting.

10. anothersmith Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, U.S.
    There's also an old song by Patsy Cline called "I Fall to Pieces."