far emergere il merito

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by fran06, Nov 9, 2006.

1. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Ok, I turned this sentence around 10 times and still can't come up with anythig decent. Can you help with the bits in blue?

È perciò importante che il dibattito all’interno del mondo occidentale e del mondo arabo possa approfondirsi per far emergere il merito di coloro che sono pronti ad avvicinare le società della regione e a promuovere una reale condivisione dei valori e degli interessi.

It is therefore important to delve into the debate between Western and Arabic worlds in order to underline the value of those who committed in bringing regional societies together and in promoting a real sharing of values and interests.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance;)

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    È perciò importante che il dibattito all’interno del mondo occidentale e del mondo arabo possa approfondirsi per far emergere il merito di coloro che sono pronti ad avvicinare le società della regione e a promuovere una reale condivisione dei valori e degli interessi.

It is therefore important to explore the internal debate between Western and Arabic worlds in order to emphasize the contribution of those who are committed to bringing nations together, and promoting a true interchange of values and interests.

3. pescara Senior Member

Connecticut
    English-USA
    I like Tim's translation but I might use "deepen the debate" .

4. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Tim,
    Why did you translate le società della regione with nations ?

5. Panpan

Panpan Senior Member

Sawbridgeworth, UK
    England, English
    '...bringing the region's communities together...' might be better?
    Panpan

6. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I'm not sure I can give a cogent answer.

Societies of the Region is OK, but it's a bit long (the sentence is long enough), and it just doesn't "ring" the way I think it should. "Nations" can be defined as countries or groups of people (nationalities), and that certainly applies to the middle east. I would not make a strong argument for nations, and I think leaving it in the original would be fine.

I always try to shorten things (my forced habit) whenever possible, and that is probably wrong in many cases on this forum.

7. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    So do I but it is not always wise to do it.;)

I'm reading back the Italian sentence and I have just realized that nations fits perfectly!

Grazie raga!

8. Lazzini

Lazzini Senior Member

I've recently received some very pertinent criticisms of some of my earlier contributions, and put this one forward knowing that it may well receive similar treatment - which can only be good for me. One question that arose in my mind was whether "all'intorno del" means "between" or "within". I've chosen the latter, but would welcome any correction. I've also probably yielded to the temptation, criticised previously, to translate too freely. Anyway, here it is - and all criticsms will be gratefully received.

Therefore it is important that a deeper debate within Western and Arab societies should advance the arguments of those who wish to bond the nations more closely and encorage a common view of interests and values.

9. mateintwo Senior Member

Sweden, Former resident USA
    I know I am late posting (and I just saw Lazzini has some of the same doubts)​

I am confused whether you are trying to translate to or from Italian and also about the phrase itself. Are we talking about within Europe to bring the societies of immigrants (hindus, muslims and so forth) and the general population together and within the Arab world to bring all the factions of Sunnis, Shiite and Kurds together or are we talking between the two blocks?

I think il dibattito all’interno del mondo occidentale e del mondo arabo should be translated: The (internal) debate inside the Western world and the Arab world. ​

Of course if you meant from English to Italian you have to change the Italian text.

It is therefore important that the (internal) debate inside the Western world and the Arab world can be deepened to show the value of those who are ready to bring the societies (communities) of the regions together …………………

10. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy

It can be both guys, of course all'interno means within but knowing what the text is about I can tell you that the main issue discussed here is to establish peace.
    So, yes we can speak about dialogue within Arabic countries and Weaster countries but also about dialogue between East and West.

Translating is very hard especially when it concerns such a delicate topic.

Thank you
    ciao