1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

far tornare i conti

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Lorena1970, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    Hi all,

"far tornare i conti" is an idiom used when we want to point out that a certain situation was solved not so honestly but rather through a planned "escamotage" or an agreement that made the solution corresponding to what one wanted independently from a correct/appropriate evaluation.
    It is used when talking about those legal proceedings, for instance, where compromises are often preferred to a much more complicate appropriate solution, or when speaking of judjments that must reward someone because of reasons far from true merits (sic!) so who really deserved to be rewarded is given an "alternative" prize.
    I have the feeling this is very Italian...sic!

"Alla fine, dovevano far tornare i conti..."
    "In the end............???..................."

Thank you!:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. V132 Senior Member

Italian
    Ciao Lorena,
    nel mio dizionario ho trovato l'espressione "to balance the accounts" per "far tornare i conti", quindi "they had to balance the accounts" ma aspettiamo le conferme dei madrelingua :)
    Ciao

3. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    The Italian expression you quote is most often used at face value (without any connotation of backroom deals and political shenanigans). I ran a Google search and the vast majority of hits contain its literal meaning: to balance the books.

4. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Island of Sardinia, Italy
    Italiano/Sardo
    Trex never sleeps.;)

5. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    ...hahahahah! Right!. Thank you, so context and " " are probably enough when used ironically. Thanks:)

6. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    Since I'm wide awake after my much-needed beauty sleep :rolleyes: I'd suggest using the above translation with a slight twist whenever you want to imply foul play.

Examples: they had to balance the books one way or another; they cooked the books in order to balance the accounts; etc.

7. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    above translation...? Maybe below...?!:D

8. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    The above translation (balance the books, post #3) with the slight twists suggested in post #6.

Clearer now or do you need a diagram? ;)