1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Farewell to the bulldog breed.

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by lucie.zelena, Oct 23, 2012.

1. lucie.zelena Junior Member

Madrid
    Czech
    Morning,

Could anyone please help me to understand the meaning of the bulldog breed allusion in the following sentence:

By 2050 England will have recreated itself. Is this farewell to the bulldog breed?

The text was written in 1999 in The Sunday Times and is slightly nationalist. Are bulldogs very important for England? It's probably metaphorical. Can farewell of the bulldog breed mean that UK is actually losing its importance?

I'll be glad for any help in English or in Czech.

L.

2. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    The British bulldog is a breed of dog which looks like the one in this article from daelnet.co.uk ("buldok" ;)) and, as that same article says in the third-to-last paragraph, "... bulldogs [are] the very symbol of Britishness ...". The dog is actually very strong for its size, and it looks very determined, and this image has given rise to the notion of the "bulldog spirit" and the "bulldog breed" (see this explanation from the OALD). So the bulldog has become the personification of courage, loyalty, strength and determination in the face of adversity, often associated with the attitude shown by Britain in World War Two, o "mnichovské zradě" ovšem raději mlčíme :eek:.

The bulldog spirit is shown, for example, in Churchill's speech to the House of Commons on June 4th 1940, particularly in the following passage: "We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender ..." That's the bulldog spirit.

I haven't seen your Sunday Times article, but you say it is somewhat nationalist, so it's possible that the article makes reference to the enormous population change that Britain has undergone seen the 1940s, with immigration from all parts of the world. When people go to live in another country, they often don't associate fully with that country, sometimes tend not to appreciate or value its particular traditions or culture, and may not feel any particular allegiance to their new country. They don't (and can hardly be expected to) show the "bulldog spirit".

So without having seen the article, I would guess it is saying that by 2050, the character of England will have changed radically, it will be vastly different to the kind of country and society that produced the "bulldog breed". The reasons for this change will be explained in the article, but I imagine population change would be one of them.

You may also find this article from WalesOnline informative. Uvádí se tam, mimo jiné: "Since World War II, the bulldog has been umbilically linked to Winston Churchill who did, actually, look like one. So the words “bulldog spirit” went into the language, suggesting an indomitable and noble refusal to surrender, no matter how high the odds against."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. Abnar New Member

English, USA
    Hi Lucie,
    French Bulldogs (Frenchies) are considered to have initiated from the unique breed of bulldog in UK and there are lots of characteristics link with a French bulldog puppy. This breed is well mannered and can easily be adapt in a farmhouse, home and closed apartment house.