1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

faschomäßig

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by _miki_, Jan 14, 2013.

1. _miki_

_miki_ Junior Member

Italian
    Hello everybody!
    I found the word "faschomäßig" in the film "Die Welle" (The wave), said by a boy talking about uniforms, and I'm trying to find out the exact meaning of this word.
    I guess it's something about fascism... But can anyone help me with the exact meaning?
    Thanks a lot!
    Michela

2. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    "faschomäßig" is typical youth speech and means "behaving like a fascist" / "authoritarian". It's often exaggerated e.g. when referring to a strict teacher.

3. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    I want to explain the word parts:
    "fascho" follows a word building rule from "Faschist"->"faschistisch" ---> fascho(...)
    It makes the word combinable with endings and removes case and other markers. The "o" has three funtions: 1. it allows wellsounding connections, 2. it transfers it to a kind of property (Eigenschaft) 3. it opens a connection to the following part.

faschomäßig
    faschoartig

"mäßig" and "artig" both are syllables used this way and mean "being/behaving like a ..."

Together with the word in front of it these words build either adjectives or adverbs.
    Note that "mäßig" does not mean "poor" or "few" here, it is related to "gemäß" like, related to, in accordance with.

Similar words from word building are "ossimäßig" or "wessimäßig" but not at all from political content).

4. _miki_

_miki_ Junior Member

Italian
    Dankeschön!!! :) Thank you very much for the exhaustive answer!

5. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Hutschi’s explanation is interesting, but wrong. –o- is a compounding element in words borrowed from Greek (like Phil-o-loge), where it is the Greek thematic vowel –o-. “Fascho” is a word in its own right (in the appropriate register). The –o- is not a compounding element but a hypocoristic suffix.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  6. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Thank you, fdb for clarifying this.
    In cases like "Kino" -> kinomäßig it is clear.
    But I did not see the Greek connection to Fascho.
    Is this build/derived according to the Greek principle as word on his own?

Or is it more a kind of very special diminutive form like Ossi, Wessi ...?

We had also "Tschecho-Slowakische/Tschechoslowakische Republik" before they separated - Is this the same Greek principle?

I do not understand the form fully, as I recognize.

PS: I did not write that it is a separate connecting element, but that it allows well-sounding connections, this means that no extra element is necessary. Sorry that this was not clear from my writing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Ich fürchte, ich habe mich nicht sehr klar ausgedrückt. „Faschismus“ stammt aus dem italienischen fascismo, vom lateinischen fasces, hat also mit Griechisch nichts zu tun. Tschech-o-slowakei ist dagegen in der Tat den griechischen Kompositen nachgebildet. „Fascho“ ist deutsche Jugendsprache (als ich in Deutschland Student war, gab es das Wort noch nicht), und „faschomäßig“ ist davon abgeleitet.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  8. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Das muss eine ganze Weile her sein. :D
    Ich kenne das Wort seit gut 20 Jahren.

9. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Ja, da hast Du Recht. Das ist Sprache der linken Szene in Westdeutschland Ende der 70er/Anfang der 80er Jahre.

10. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    So ist es, leider.