fashion fundi

Discussion in 'English Only' started by chopin7, Feb 22, 2013.

1. chopin7 Senior Member

It's a documentary about snakes.
    Narrator says,
    "Yes, snakes are both predator and prey, and sometimes a pair of shoes or a handbag.
    Though the role of fashion fundi is a relatively new one for the ground hugging snake,
    he views his metamorphosis to figure hugging creature somewhat dismally."

I am not getting at all this "fashion fundi", hence all the sentence.
    I guess, he is trying to be comic, but that's not enough to get what he is trying to say.
    Any idea what is his idea here?

Thank you
  2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    The only meaning that comes to my mind for "fundi" is that it may be a pejorative slang for (religious) "fundamentalist." This might be what the author is getting at, but it's a stretch.
  3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

English - South-East England
    To me it's the German shortening of 'fundamentalist' in an environmental sense: the Fundis are the Greens who don't compromise, or something like that. The name is used in English for these people, but I haven't seen it transferred to anyone else. So I have no real idea what a fashion fundi is - perhaps someone (some snake?) who refuses to let snakes be turned into fashion items?
  4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Just a thought - could it be 'fashion pundit'?
  5. chopin7 Senior Member

Don't know what to say. Maybe. The problem is that I am not so sure
    about the second part of the sentence, in order to get the first.
    "Ground hugging snake, hugging creature........"
    Anyway, thank you.
  6. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    It's not "hugging creature" but "figure-hugging creature" - a figure-hugging piece of clothing made of snakeskin. Live snakes hug (stay close to) the ground while the clothing made from dead snakes tightly conforms to the human body.
    "Fundi" doesn't mean anything to me. What is the name and country of origin of this documentary?
  7. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

British English
    Please name your source.
  8. chopin7 Senior Member

Life in the Wild is the title of the series.
    This one is "Victims of prejudice".
    Thank you, Myridon.
    I think I can get something from that.
  9. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    My guess is that "fundi" her might be short for fundamental, that snakeskin items are a new trend in fashion and should be a basic item in every fashionista's wardrobe.
  10. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    It seems to be a South African idiom.
    Jeanpatteson, in The Orlando Sentinel:
    Wiki has an entry on it: an expert or guru
  11. velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    If you do a search for "fashion fundi", you can see that several South African sites use the term. Apparently it's an anglicised form of "umfundisi"-a wise person. It may be familiar to anyone who's read Paton's "Cry the Beloved Country". So "fashion fundi" means "an expert on fashion".

​Cross-posted. Loob got it just about right with her guess at "pundit".
  12. chopin7 Senior Member

Thanks again to everybody!
  13. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    It was probably intended as the plural of fundus (basically a medical term), chosen to feed the author's infatuation with alliteration, a trait found in many young and inexperienced writers. And yes, that whole business was evidently a (rather pathetic) attempt at humor.
  14. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    A friend of mine who is living in South Africa is publicly described as a fly-fishing fundi. i.e. he is a source of authority, knowledge and expertise in the area of fly-fishing.

A fashion fundi is in a like position - they will be a source of authority, knowledge and expertise in the area of fashion.
  15. chopin7 Senior Member

Thank you, Paul.
    Yes, Parla. Totally agree with you.
    His English is such a pain.
  16. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I take it you're not agreeing with Parla's comment that fundi is the plural of Latin fundus:rolleyes:. Jean (and subsequently velisarius and Paul) have undoubtedly solved the mystery!:thumbsup:
  17. chopin7 Senior Member

As a matter of fact, Loob, I closed this one since Myridon's comment.
    So, I was talking about the second part of Parla's comment.