1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

fashion

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Gavril, May 3, 2011.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    In most European languages, the word for "fashion" seems to be based on Latin modus "way, manner". Here is a sampling of the titles of various languages' Wikipedia articles on "fashion":

French mode
    Spanish moda
    German mode
    Swedish mode
    Slovenian moda
    Finnish muoti
    Turkish moda

What exceptions do you know of to this pattern (whether from a European language or not)?

Two that occur to me are

- English fashion < OFr. façon < Lat. factio "act of doing"

- Icelandic tíska
    (This might be based on the word tíð "time, season", but I'm not sure)

Update: it looks like my hunch about the etymology of Icel. tíska was correct: see this link.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:
    «Μόδα» ('moða, feminine noun), a loanword from Italian or French. Its more archaic and rarely used now name is «συρμός» (sir'mos, masculine noun); Classical masculine noun «συρμός» (sūr'mŏs)-->any sweeping motion, from the verb «σύρω» ('sūrō, 'siro in modern pronunciation)-->to drag by force, sweep, PIE base *twer- (2), to hold, grasp, push

3. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian: мода /moda/

4. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    The same in Bulgarian and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian.

5. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    In Hebrew: אופנה [ofna]

We did borrow the word [moda] but like in greek it's hardly ever used anymore.

6. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Hungarian

divat - from dívni, cca. "to be in (fashion)"
    módi - from moda, less used

7. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Out of curiosity, what's the tri-consonantal root of אופנה?

I might be misunderstanding, but I think Apmoy70 was saying the reverse about Greek: i.e., the international word μόδα has taken over the space once occupied by the Ancient Greek word συρμός.

8. Istriano

Istriano Senior Member

-
    In Italian, voga is also used.
    essere in voga - to be fashionable

9. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    Gavril, you're right, it was me misunderstanding :eek:

So: Hebrew used to have the borrowed word "moda" but we don't use it anymore.

אופנה [ofna] - the root is א.פ.נ
    I all of a sudden noticed something (ans I also asked some place else about it):
    אופנה seems to come from the hebrew word אופן [ofen] which means "way, manner" (just like mode - modus. I was told this is actually a loan translation).

10. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew

המילה "אופנה" היא מתחילת העברית המודרנית. המציאה אותה, כמה צפוי, חמדה בן יהודה, אשתו של אליעזר בן יהודה. מספרים שבן יהודה הציע את המילה "מידה" שמשלבת את הצליל הצרפתי עם שורש עברי מתאים.

אגב, זו דוגמא יפה לנצחון של מילה עברית מלאכותית משהו על פני המילה הלועזית המקבילה. אני חושב שעד שנות השבעים או השמונים הנצחון לא היה מובטח, ופתאום איכשהו קיבלה מודה תדמית זקנה, של חנויות בגדים שמרניות עם זבניות פולניות מבוגרות... ויצאה מהמודה.

11. catlady60

catlady60 Senior Member

Pennsylvania (20mi/36km from the Poconos
    English-US (New York City)
    In English, a common synonym for fashion is style.

When a person dresses well, we say, He or she has style.

This dress is out of style when it's no longer popular to wear.

An English word for someone who only dresses in the latest styles is a fashionista, a pseudo-Italian portmanteau of fashion + the italian suffix -ista.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  12. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    המילה "אופנה" היא מתחילת העברית המודרנית. המציאה אותה, כמה צפוי, חמדה בן יהודה, אשתו של אליעזר בן יהודה. מספרים שבן יהודה הציע את המילה "מידה" שמשלבת את הצליל הצרפתי עם שורש עברי מתאים.​
    Thanks Origumi :)

ולי יש עוד דוגמא לזה: המילה "רמונט" שהוחלפה ב"שיפוץ"

We say that too in Hebrew.
    And what about the word chic?
    I sometimes (not often though) use it in Hebrew: we can say that someone "has chic".
    יש לה שיק [yesh la shik] she has chic.

13. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Mongolian seems to be one of the very few languages using its own words:
    mode - янз, маяг, хэлбэр (all meaning lit. manner, way, shape).

14. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: Fashion= Gawi(always use to be), Tikas= good looking physical features,naturally good standing

15. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    In Irish it is faiseann, pronounced the same as "fashion" - I can only conclude that there was no fashion in Ireland until the English came... ;)

16. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Interesting, Hungarian, Hebrew, Mongolian, not to mention Asian languages have their own words.
    Interestingly enough the word divat appeared as soon as the 17th century and first meant value, custom, wealth.
    The origin of the part div- is unknown, and from divat arose dívni, not vice versa.

17. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Maybe Latin?

dives (gen. divitis) = rich;
    divitiae = wealth, splendour;

18. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    موضة (mo:Dah) in Arabic (all modern varieties). Maybe some in the Maghreb would prefer to use French (la mode). It's interesting that the Arabisation uses the unique letter (ضاد) rather than the direct equivalent (دال).