1. MTB Junior Member

Aquí y ahí
    spanish mexico/german/english
    Hi! I'm looking for another english word for fat but it should be a nice/polite/sweet word to describe a fat person.
    I found chubby tubby dumpy.
    1. Please could you help me with the differences between these words,
    2. when shall we use them, how etc.
    3. are there any other nice words for fat besides these?
    Thanks a lot! :)
  2. babep Senior Member

Catalan/Castillian/English (Mallorca, Spain/ex-10 years USA)
    Sorry to say but these are not nice words. Nobody who is fat would like to be called chubby, tubby or dumpy...
    Nice words, euphemistic words, could be "corpulent", "big boned", "large",...
    Native speakers...please, give other ideas/words. Thanks!
  3. lzsam4 Senior Member

Oh my - please dont every say any of those to anyone - especially a woman! jaja. :eek: I guess in spanish "gordita" is acceptable, but in english I cant think of any that would be taken as "sweet"....If you are talking to another person and describing someone else, it would be acceptable to say "a little heavy" or "heavy-set". But I cant think of any that you would actually say directly to someone without hurting feelings. Depends on the person I guess. "Curvaceous"? That's an under-exaggeration Im sure, but at least wouldnt hurt feelings. :) Saludos!
  4. Thomsen Senior Member

Washington, D.C.
    English USA
    Are you trying to be neutral like for an article or nice to someone?

Big-boned. Volumptuous (for women). Stocky (for men) could be ok if the person has a big frame.

A doctor would say overweight or obese because those are technical terms.
  5. lzsam4 Senior Member

6. AngelaBee Junior Member

Pomona, USA/Guadalajara, MX
    United States, English
    Dumpy is not nice, and I don't think it really refers to weight, but rather to being sloppy or messy in personal care. Like fachoso/a.

It really depends on the context that you are in, because any of these could seen as hurtful or rude. I might us the phrase "(s)he was on the heavy side."

There is an old phrase called "pleasantly plump" which refers to being a little bit heavy, but not very much. Llenita. Usually used for women.

Another phrase is "full-figured" which refers usually can only be used in reference to women. It could be used as an understatement about a fat person, or it could be used to refer to someone who just has a very womanly figure (large breasts, large hips and a bit of a stomach).

For guys, one might call him "big." "He was a big guy." This could be used for women as well.

But if you use any of these to describe a fat person, they are like an understatement, saying that the person isn't really fat, just a little big. To call someone fat is usually always considered bad manners.

In medical terms, it always works to say obese, but this always refers to someone who is really, medically, obese.
  7. MTB Junior Member

Aquí y ahí
    spanish mexico/german/english
    Hi guys! Thanks for the prompt answers! :) Yeah I'm a girl trying to describe the mother of another girl in a nice way, I mean of course i could say she is fat but in spanish we say gordita to mean fat but in a nice way, so that's acceptable and normal.. which one is less hurting large, big, heavy-set, heavy? or something else? Do you know which word does people in Texas use? Thanks again! :)
  8. guixols Senior Member

San Francisco
    USA / English, German
    Chubby is okay if you are talking about a baby or a small child.
    Tubby and dumpy are offensive.
    A lot of people simply say "big" or "large" when they're trying to be polite.
    There's also "plump" or (only for women) "zaftig".
  9. AngelaBee Junior Member

Pomona, USA/Guadalajara, MX
    United States, English
    It is a very delicate thing to want to say. I would say womanly.
  10. rundown73 Senior Member

USA, English
    I like "chubby" or "plump" under the circumstances -- since they imply a certain fondness (although if you say that to someone's face, they are unlikely to feel complimented).

In other, special cases, a slang word you can use is "thick". It means a woman is fat but sexy. It's the only "positive" word I can think of for overweight.
  11. lzsam4 Senior Member

I agree that chubby or plump are less hurtful. I guess I would still lean towards saying "heavy set". But thats just me...:)
  12. i heart queso Senior Member

San Francisco, California
    English, Canada
    You could say "she's a little on the larger/bigger/heavier side" to avoid saying it directly, I think we do this a lot in English... ;)
  13. Gratis Junior Member

My suggestion: Don't even try to describe a person that has a few kilos more than "normal".... stay away from it.
    Use other adjectives: sweet, happy, honest, great heart, short/long hair etc. - describe their personality.

14. Granny Grammar Senior Member

English US
    I happen to be 60 pounds overweight. If you were to refer to me as overweight, it might bother me. On the other hand, if someone were to refer to me as "slightly overweight," then I would focus on the "slightly" part and perhaps even feel complimented. Other overweight women may feel differently.
  15. DigiPuddy New Member

Welsh - Wales
    Women: curvaceous, voluptuous, full-figured.
    Men: rotund, well-built, stout.

Hope that helps. :D
  16. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    I wouldn't use corpulent. It sounds too formal and stuffy to me (and is just as likely to offend).
  17. DigiPuddy New Member

Welsh - Wales
    For a man I like to use 'heavily built' because it can mean anything from clinically obese to excessively muscular like a weight lifter.
  18. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Well, since we're going for euphemisms, for a Texan, you could say that he or she is "Texas-sized." (Apparently, everything is larger than life, in Texas.)
    Still, not too flattering. I suppose that something that works for both sexes is that they look "healthy."