Fatevi i cazzi vostri/fatti i cazzi tuoi

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Oche Gruso, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Oche Gruso Junior Member

Brooklyn, NY
    English, USA
    My co-worker speaks a little Italian and she just told me this morning to say "Batzi gatzi do" (or something like that) to another one of our co-workers. What exactly does that phrase mean? Is it lagit or would I have to wash my mouth out with soap?

: vulgarities
  2. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    You could do with a bit of soap! :)

It's something like that! It's :warn:"fatti i cazzi to':warn: meaning :warn:fatti i cazzi tuoi:warn: translation "mind your :warn:fucking:warn: business!"

Hope this helps!

3. Oche Gruso Junior Member

Brooklyn, NY
    English, USA
    Ah! OMG, I never realized something that sounded so beautiful was so rude and awful! Are all the languages like that?

4. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    It doesn't sound any beautiful to my ears actually, but you know, it can be out of the fact that I know what it means?

This is one of the problems with Italian! Everything sounds sweet and musical, even if you are saying the worst thing in the word!

When I was very very young, I used to greet foreigners with swear words, pronouncing them as if I was saying "Buon giorno" "Buona sera"!
    I'm not fond of it, and I grew up, but no one of them ever had the slightest idea that I was insulting them! I swear I don't do it anymore!

5. rambler Senior Member

Tampa, Florida (hurricanes!)
    English Canada (blizzards!)
    I came across the following expression in this forum: :warn:Fatti i ca**i tuoi:warn:, which I believe means something like “Mind your own business”.

I suspect that the expression is vulgar, so would someone just tell me what letters are missing?

Grazie!

6. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Hi
    The letters missing are ZZ. It's very rude and is the equivalent of
    :warn:fu**ing:warn:

bye

7. Gemelle Senior Member

Australia
    English
    Capisco "Fatti i :warn:cazzi :warn: tuoi e lo so che "sfigato" (che trovato ad un altro post) vuol dire "loser" ma che cosa vuol dire:

:warn: cazzi :warn: tuoi, sfigato!

8. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Something like "Hard cheese / That's your funeral, loser!"...

9. Gemelle Senior Member

Australia
    English
    Mi dispiace, ma non si usa ne' "hard cheese" ne' "that's your funeral" in inglese in questo contesto. Grazie lo stesso.

Avete altre idee?

10. JoeMama Junior Member

USA - English
    How about:
    That's your fucking:warn: problem, loser!

11. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Hm, okay... E come si direbbe in inglese 'peggio per te' (nel senso più o meno di 'te la sei cercata/voluta')?

12. Gemelle Senior Member

Australia
    English
    Ci provo: "peggio per te" - "that's your bad luck."

13. JoeMama Junior Member

USA - English
    I believe you could say:
    Too bad for you!

14. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Thanks. I'm asking it because "(sono) :warn: cazzi tuoi" can have this meaning too, so I suggested something like 'that's your funeral'...

15. JoeMama Junior Member

USA - English
    Ciao Necsus-
    I'm pretty sure that the best interpretation for this would be "That's your fucking:warn: problem!" or "Too fucking:warn: bad for you!"
    I've never heard the expressions "that's your funeral" or "hard cheese". But maybe they are BE. Other opinions?

16. Starbuck Senior Member

Chicago
    USA/English
    Ciao Saoul,

The same is true for English. Two funny stories:

1. When I was teaching English as a Second Language, some of the American students used to think it was very funny to teach the foreign students to count like this: one, two, three, four, :warn:fuck, sex, seven, eight, nine, ten!

2. The long "o" sound in English, as in "Coke" (cowk) is not the same as the short "o" sound--> the difference, for example, between "coat" and "cot." Most non-native English speakers have a hard time with the long "o" sound in the beginning. As a result, many of my students would go with me to MacDonald's and order a cheeseburger, french fries, and a large Coke, but what the Americans working at MacDonald's would always hear would be "cheeseburger, fries, and a large :warn:cock!" It was always very humorous as I would explain to my students that it was VERY important to say the long "o" sound in "Coke." :D

Starbuck :)

17. tee_luna

tee_luna Senior Member

Aviano
    Italy, italian

Tough luck

18. Veledan Senior Member

Stoke, UK
    English - BE
    Ciao a tutti!

Mi scusate un nuovo thread su :warn::warn:cazzo, ma mi pare che nessuno degli altri si riferisca a questo uso. L'ho vista stamattina tra le scritte sul castello di Bergamo -- di solito non vi darei fastidio con una scritta volgare, ma questo esempio era scritto in modo molto meticoloso e regolare, e sono curioso di sapere se è di uso comune e cosa vuol dire.

La frase intera era:
    • Chi legge è il :warn::warn:coglione! Fatevi i cazzi vostri!
    • The reader is an :warn::warn:asshole! Do yourselves your :warn:pricks [???]
    Grazie in anticipo.

Vel

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  19. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Mind your :warn:fucking business.

20. Veledan Senior Member

Stoke, UK
    English - BE
    Thanks Paul, that makes sense!

Will we ever get to the end of :warn:cazzo usages?

Vel

EDIT: One more question, apologies: is that expression understood/used nationally, or is it a local usage?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  21. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Will we ever get to the end of :warn:fuck usages? :)

Same answer..

22. underhouse Senior Member

Yes, it would definitely be understood/used nationally!

23. Locust777 New Member

english
    What about the phrase "cazzi tuoi" by itself? What does "cazzi tuoi" mean?

24. miri

miri Senior Member

Italy/Italian
    Hello Locust and welcome!:)

As other friends have already suggested in previous posts, it means ":warn:tough shit!" or "that's your fucking problem!":warn:

25. Locust777 New Member

english
    Thank you, Miri. I didn't notice those two words by themselves so I wanted to make sure there wasn't a difference. Thanks again.

26. prowlerxpla Senior Member

Passo Genovese
    Italy Italian
    Sometimes to ask somebody, rudely but jokely, to make theyr own business we say:
    ma te la fai 'na padellata di cazzi:warn: tuoi? (the interrogative is ironic :))
    Literally it means about to fill a pan of your business (and cook them as you like).
    can I say:
    why don't you make a panful/potful/hatful of your business?
    Ciao Pier

27. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian - bilingual
    No, Pier, non si può dire, perché in inglese è mind your own business, ossia "bada agli affari tuoi". Non si fanno padellate. :D

28. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
  29. prowlerxpla Senior Member

Passo Genovese
    Italy Italian
    :) thanks CPA, ......cooking haven't ever been at the top of interests of English people:)