1. Baghera Senior Member

Montpellier
    France/French
    Hello all!

I am wondering if dad is always very colloquial for father, as daddy is, or if it can be -- how to say that -- respective and affective at the same time?

For example can you say "How kind is my dad!" to someone without being too childish or informal?

Thanks for your help!

2. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    I don't think "dad" sounds childish. To my ears, it's a little less formal than "father," but definitely more formal than "daddy."

[BTW, I think you meant "respectful and endearing." Yes, "dad" is both.]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  3. Baghera Senior Member

Montpellier
    France/French
    OOPS! Yes, of course, I meant respectful.
    Thanks for your answer and for this correction.

4. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Dad (from the Welsh tad - same in Breton) is the word in general informal use.
    Daddy suggests that the speaker is either aged under 7, or in the UK, an upper-class woman of any age.
    Father is the word for formal use.

5. bloomiegirl

New York
    US English
    Keith is right (my Webster marks both "dad" and "daddy" as informal, though not colloquial), but I think that Baghera is looking for a term with some warmth. "Father" is formal and respectful, but has no special warmth to it.

6. Baghera Senior Member

Montpellier
    France/French
    Actually, the matter is that it is a princess speaking about her father. So it has to be formal, but at the same time, yes Bloomiegirl, we need to feel some warmth in this "How nice is my dad/father!"

7. bloomiegirl

New York
    US English
    Princesses have fathers, regardless of affection. ;)
    So maybe, "How nice my father is!"