1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

fatto da battistrada

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by emily_gr, Jul 15, 2013.

1. emily_gr Junior Member

Italian
    Dear all,

I'm translating this sentence:

"In prospettiva, possiamo dire oggi che tutte queste nuove riviste, sorte in Italia per impulso di giovani critici che, seguendo la lezionef rancese, si erano ribellati alla tradizione dei padri – la critique de papa – hanno fatto da battistrada nei confronti delle generazioni successive per rinnovare radicalmente gli studi di cinema."

This is my attempt:

In hindsight, we can now say that all these new magazines, developped in Italy thanks to the impulse/drive of young critics that, following the French example, had rebelled against the tradition of the fathers – la critique de papa –opened the road/prepared the ground for future generations to radically renew the study of cinema.

What do you think?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hi emily - we say "paved the way"
    paved the way for future generations.....

3. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Perhaps "beat the path" would be closest to the Italian but "prepared/laid the groundwork" would work here, as well. Something about "radically renew" that sounds odd, though. Not sure why.
    ....the tradition of their fathers - laid the groundwork for future generations to radically alter/reconceive cinematic studies.
    ....the tradition of their fathers - laid the groundwork for future generations' radical renewal of cinematic studies.

edit: Agree with Joan's pave the way

4. emily_gr Junior Member

Italian
    Thanks, both of you!

rrose, I think I'll go with your second option.