faulty engine

Discussion in 'English Only' started by salai, Dec 13, 2012.

1. salai

salai Senior Member

Ukraine
    Russian
    Hello,

Here is a question from a site for advanced English learners:
    'If you had a car that was playing up, would you generally have a rough idea what was wrong with it?'
    Is it possible to say: 'Actually, yes, I am not able to fix most of the faulty engine problems though. My skills have gone way too rusty.'

I am not sure about the word 'faulty'.

Thank you in advance.

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Forget 'faulty' that is assumed because of the earlier question, and 'problems' does not need qualification as we know what we are discussing.

'Actually, yes,
    I am not able can't fix most of the faulty engine problems though. My skills have gone are/have become way too rusty.'

3. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    Your formula, Salai, suggests that it's the problem which is faulty, not the engine. You clearly mean faulty-engine problems.

Having said that I think you'd do better to talk of fixing the engine rather than the problem.

Faulty is a good word in this sort of context, but I'd rather you said: I'm not able to fix most faulty engines, though.

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Note that BE uses "fault" when something is simply broken far more than we AE speakers do.

In AE, "faulty" tends to mean that there's a basic error in design or manufacture, rather than something that simply broke.

Which do you mean?

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    What does "playing up" mean?

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    See the WR dictionary:
    play up
    1 Brit. informal fail to function properly; cause problems.

7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Thank you, Loob. I should've looked it up. :eek:

8. salai

salai Senior Member

Ukraine
    Russian
    I guess it goes about fixing a problem (temporary one) in an engine, e.g. I was driving along a country road and suddenly the car was sluggish, I pressed the accelerator pedal hard though. I knew what was caused it and was able to fix this problem.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  9. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Hereabouts (AE), we would probably just call it "car trouble."

Good luck