fecha / date: the 17th

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by hedgy, Feb 21, 2013.

1. hedgy Senior Member

Catalan
    I've just read this:
    We will meet you in London on the 17th
    I know everything they say about the use of the in dates. But I do not understand why it is used like this in a reading.

2. Trailbosstom

Trailbosstom Senior Member

Arizona
    American English
    Perhaps this is what is happening: The definite article "the" very often goes with the preposition "of." The back of the room... etc. "the 17th" is short for: "the 17th of February" for example.

3. hedgy Senior Member

Catalan
    Can anyone help me, please?

4. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    I guess you're referring to the fact that the rule is generally that we SAY "the" before a date but don't WRITE it. Perhaps in this case the writer is just writing what was actually said, as in dialogue.

5. hedgy Senior Member

Catalan
    It is a letter, it is not a dialogue, so that's why I don't understand why they write the when you only use it when talking.

6. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Well, in a letter, we often write as we speak, even if it is grammatically "incorrect".

7. hedgy Senior Member

Catalan
    Yes, it's true
    Thank you

8. donbill

donbill Senior Member / Moderator

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    I see nothing wrong with the sentence as it is written! "We will meet you in London on the 17th [day of the month].":confused:

9. levmac

levmac Senior Member

No longer here.
    There is nothing wrong with the sentence! The only time "the" is omitted, is when we write a full date.

Today's date: Tueday 19th November.

In a sentence, you couldn't write, "We will meet you in London on 17th".

Nor would I write, necessarily, "He was born 6th November". This form is often used in articles and encyclopaedias, but in many written formats, it looks telegraphic; it is an abbreviation.

In a book, I imagine you will find both forms. When a character is speaking, it would be weird to abbreviate it like that.

10. donbill

donbill Senior Member / Moderator

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    It would not be unusual in AmE to see or hear: "I'll see you in London on the 19th of November. Most of the time we don't use the formula "19th November" or "19 November," unless we're trying to sound British. :)

11. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Though we wouldn't normally say "19 November".

12. levmac

levmac Senior Member

No longer here.
    But the point still holds - you still use "the".

Americans used November 19(th) in the same way Britons use "19(th) November" - as an abbreviated form common in bylines and the other contexts I explained. When space is at a premium, as in newspapers, it's usual to omit the "th".