Feel/Fill someone up

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by axsandman, May 6, 2007.

1. axsandman Member

Italy - Italian
    Hi everyone,
    I was going to write a post asking for the translation of the expression "feel someone up" when I found out a similar expression: "fill someone up"..

The context is the following (In a movie):

Enough! This is not dating! I want moonlight and ... and ... and people trying to feel me up. Nobody is trying to feel me up. Nobody is even looking at me!

As I was looking for the meaning of "feel me up" I made a typo error and I wrote it as "fill me up", but the two expressions turned out to have the same (or closely related) meaning..

Thanks in advance
  2. raffavita

raffavita Senior Member

Forse "che mi stimoli sessualmente."
  3. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Non direi proprio..

Feel someone up = toccare sensualmente, accarezzare con malizia.
    Fill some up = riempire ( e qui lascio a te immaginare come..)
  4. lingogal Senior Member

U.S. English
    Hi ragazzi,

I don't think I would ever use "fill someone up" with a sexual connotation, but rather with the idea of food or a meal. "That dinner really filled me up! No dessert for me." But maybe I am just too old-fashioned.

5. k_georgiadis

k_georgiadis Senior Member

NJ, USA
    English (AE)
    "To fill someone up" can also mean to make someone feel a complete person, fulfilled, without necessarily a sexual connotation.
  6. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    To feel someone up always has a sexual connotation, and generally it's used as a negative...something someone might go to jail for.

To fill someone up is something that I think almost always has a sexual connotation, unless the context makes it clear what is being talked about or it's food that is the subject of the sentence.

Boy, that pizza sure filled me up.

But be really careful because if your dad made the pizza, it's super strange to say...

Boy, my dad sure filled me up.

This is because it implies that the dad is filling some orifice with his penis or some other object (i.e. it is sexual in nature). Something that Italians often fail to do when speaking English is make a distinction between the ee sound and the i sound. If you say...

Boy, lobster sure feels me up.

People would understand you, but those my age would probably get a hearty chuckle out of it. It's similar to being an Italian waiter and hearing someone say "pene vodka."

I would say this is normally only used if there is some sort of helping noun following the expression to avoid the sexual connotation that is inherent in it.

He fills me (up) with joy.

She fills me (up) with happiness.
  7. audia Senior Member

I agree hockney13.
    Otherwise one would/could say he fulfills me/ my needs.